add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Comments (Continued)

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, in a way I would like to try it out, and test it to compare see which is the best, just for curiosity. Well thanks for the suggestions.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820167411

That link is for the Intel 600p series M.2 drives, just found out about these, I think that came out in early September.

They are not as fast as the one I have, the Samsung 950 PRO; 2200 MB/s vs 1750 MB/s read speed.

But you can grab a 256 GB for almost half the price of the 950 Pro.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot for this information. That one seems to be really good one with enough space for OS and basic programs. Compare to a regular ssd that one is way faster, and is like 25%-30% slower than the Samsung 950 PRO (using those number) for half the price. I may upgrade sooner than expected. (ahh the temptation is real here now). I'll be checking it out, see if I can find reviews to check that everything seems good. (the reviews are positive so far.) Thanks again.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, 50% price for only a 25-30% reduction in performance is favorable.

If I build a HTPC for the living room I think I will pick up one.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

That's is great. Hey while I was looking around the M.2 SSD I found this 256GB Toshiba OCZ RD400 for $150 which seems to be really good. Look at HardwareCanucks review video. base on the Read Speed of 2600 MB/s it sounds really good. Is like $50-$60 more than the Intel 600p but $20-$30 cheaper than the 950 pro. At this point I'll be checking more reviews, and also how the pricing goes during some time, and also Sales. Black Friday and Cyber-Monday would be good time too look at them. But at the end I need to see how exactly Im going to use them as for Price per performance. (Once start looking you end up finding other stuff that are good but price/performance it all get around. It gets fun when building a computer and looking for the right components)

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Researching is part of the hobby/fun/required of building a good system, it is also needed to ensure you are buying something of value and is something you can use.

I looked over the drive, I think the OCZ drive looks good, the Sammie might be more advance on an underlying side, like features wise but I cannot confirm as OCZ does not list anything like Auto Garbage collect or TRIM Support. I also think the OCZ drive may be later gen, I know the 960's are coming out soon and if I recall they are more similar to this drive; hence why the OCZ seems so cra cra.

Personally, I do not think there will be a huge difference for most general users between any of the drives we have discussed. I bought an Intel one for a second M.2 drive for running virtual servers on my desktop, I was more concerned with budget as it will still be plenty fast for my purposes; but as a main boot drive, the OCZ seems like a solid option.

My only concern is, the OCZ does not specify what features the drive has in the same manner Sammie does, the Sammie drive has a higher rated endurance and the only HDD I have ever had fail on me was an iPod Classic drive from '07-'09 era and when I craked it open it was a Toshiba HDD.

I have an Asus Laptop that is almost ten years old (Core 2 Duo era) and still kicking but some people have issues with Asus products, so people's experiences with brands are anecdotal until there is enough evidence, so I look around at how reliable the OCZ SSD's have been and go from there, at least that is what I would do.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube