add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Coil whine and the GTX 970

mstrmind820937
  • 58 months ago

Is coil whine fairly widespread in all lines of the GTX 970, or can it be linked to something else in the system?

I only ask because I tried both the EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ and the MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming with both a Cooler Master V450S and an EVGA G2 750W PSU and both cards had coil whine with both power supplies. Might something else in my system be influencing the coil whine? (The rest of my rig is in the saved partl list of my profile).

The only things in common with both cards are the are both GTX 970's and they both use Elpida memory.

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2pu3to/discussion_gtx_970s_coil_whine_and_your_psu/

That should answer the questions you have. Chances are, you just need to overclock/volt the video card a bit to get rid of it.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Will try it, but the fact it's present on two separate 970's from different brands and on different psu's is curious/worrying.

I'm guessing overclocing using MSI AB is suggested, but how much?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube