add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Possible suggestions for improvements?!

mstrmind820937
  • 56 months ago

Hi all,

System for quiet 1080p 60fps gaming. This is just to see if there is any need to upgrade anything, or better to wait until my needs change or if a great part comes along at a great price.

The only things of note are that the bearing on the cpu coooler fan sounds louder and squeakier then before and that with the inclusion of all these hard drives the front intake can be a little choked in the R4 case with the two cages having to remain in place.

My current build: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/mstrmind820937/saved/#view=4fVRsY

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I see no need for changes if you're happy, maybe the cooler fan if it's bugging you, or try some wd40 :-D

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I did try a nf-f12 pwm fan in place, much better bearing sound, slower fan speed comparatively, quieter but more noticeable airflow sound owing to the design and higher static pressure. I think slightly better temps, a few degrees or so.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

That RAM needs changing. you want the 1.5v try kingston savage or fury.

Why do you need all those drives?

I might have more sugestions, but i'll need to know what you want to play on it.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

The ram downclocks itself to 1.5v and the timings change as well - so 1333MHz instead of 1600MHz. Would I see any real world improvements changing to something like this https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial-memory-blt2k8g3d1608et3lx0 either 8GB or 16 GB. I suppose it's all linked to CPU, DDR4/DDR3 and whether newer CPU/mobo/ram combo releases have any proper performance jumps over what I have.

The drives are for A LOT of media storage. It's a shame the R4 doesn't have the modular cages that the newer R5 has to help airflow, but I don't know if it's worth the expense to upgrade to the R5. Unless there are other better silent cases out there.

So my gaming tends to be AAA titles - GTA 5, Mordor, Witcher, Arkham Knight (when?!) you get the jist. All at ultra/very high game settings at 1080p on a 27 inch 60Hz monitor, so 60fps is fine for me. Pretty happy with these settings. On the GPU front I think I can wait until HBM comes out fully next year and maybe 1440p/4k gets a little cheaper, but that's all for next year.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this a build you currently have? or are you designing a new build from scratch?

If its a new build I would say use the stock cooler for the CPU.

And how much are you paying for that mobo. I found it on amazon for 170 quid. and that is way more than you want to pay.

The RAM is seriously overpriced. If your only gaming get 8gb in one stick. get 1600 CAS 9. The kingston savage is half the price and the same performance.

Why do you have 2 SSDs?

And If you want to play AA titles. Get the R9 390 over the GTX 970. Normally I would say consider the 390, But in your case, it's a much better option.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Apologies, this is my current build, just seeing if any reasonable improvements are needed based on my uses - 1080p, 60fps gaming and trying to keep the system very quiet.

Most of the main parts are 18 months old. The drives have been added bit by bit, with the gpu and case fans most recent.

The 120GB for OS + programs, got a really good deal for the 250GB SSD for games, instead of using a noisy hdd.

Noted about the 390 and it is a better card, but I'm slightly paranoid about noise/sound and for my uses and from what I've found even the quietest 390, the MSI I think, still has the fans spinning up around 1800rpm, whereas the MSI 970 will spin up to about 1250rpm during gaming. Whilst not much to most gamers, for my peace of mind a little sacrifice on performance over a quieter gpu is preferred.

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

If you already have all your parts, then the only thing i'd say is maybe look into a highwr wattage PSU. I think you need more headroom.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube