add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best source for PSU fan noise/dB?

mstrmind820937
  • 56 months ago

Where is the best or most comprehensive source/s to compare power supply fans - rough specs, fans speeds and fan noise? A lot of reviews offer subjective statements and some do offer actual data, but comparing this across different sites isn't always the most reliable way of judging these tests.

Is techpowerup my best bet? https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/Snow_Silent-750/10.html

Whilst I appreciate for most gamers the psu will never be the loudest thing in their system and performance and wattage matter most (important to me too), I can be a stickler for noise. I did test a friends EVGA G2 750w and didn't like the sound profile of the included fan.

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Is techpowerup my best bet?

it's a good site

honestly don't have much experience with silent psu, maybe pureblackfire does... But I think any PSU that has a fan will be noisy under extreme loads... Even the seasonic silent snow 750 if you read the conclusion. The problem with the fanless PSU is their limitation with wattage. I don't think there is a 750 watts version, but max are around 500 something. So your best bet is to get the less noisy under full loads.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

For gaming silence isn't necessary, just something pretty quiet. Whilst fanless options are good, I accept some fan sound is inevitable.

My issue tends to be with the type of fan used (it's usually a good cost saving option for most psu's), so size, fan count and bearing type and the fan profile, so max rpm and the associated fan curve will affect it's overall sound signature.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

yep they use fans with high rpms and under load they will definitely be noisy. My SFX psu which is the latest version 2.0 has a much quieter fan with a different fan profile and under load its still the loudest in my build. Ive seen ppl change the fan but its imposible to find a quieter fan with those specs for such a small fan.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube