add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£600 Black and White WoW Machine for my GF Mk. 3

Master-Zixx
  • 55 months ago

Really long story short, my girlfriend and I stumbled upon the Bitfenix Aegis and she said that if I ever build her a pc, it has to be the white Aegis. I immediately started drafting and researching to try and come up with my dream Aegis. ...roughly £2000... that was Mk.1, Mk.2 was a ...bit... more realistic but I didn't know what I was doing when combining parts and well nearly 300 of the now £900 Mk. 2 was aesthetics (it would look very sexy though...). My girlfriend told me to get realistic and try and get the most bang for my buck. She doesn't want the desktop for much more than WoW anyway. So here's my 3rd attempt.

As I said, I am trying my best to keep a Black and White Aesthetic while still getting bang/buck performance to run WoW smoothly.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £88.20 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler £8.50 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £54.80 @ More Computers
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £35.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £39.57 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £36.95 @ Scan.co.uk
Video Card MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB Video Card £129.00 @ Amazon UK
Case BitFenix Aegis Core (White) MicroATX Mid Tower Case £60.04 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £50.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Fan Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan £13.98 @ Ebuyer
Monitor BenQ GL2450HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor £114.86 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £632.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 00:39 BST+0100

CPU: WoW does not use more than 2 cores. I considered a pentium, but that would require overclocking to get to high clock speeds. I'm not a big fan of the oc bandwagon. Besides that, I read somewhere the r7 370 recommends an i3-4170. The hyperthreading will also come in handy when skyping and while gaming, or so I believe.

Cooler: I have the 80mm fan version myself (Alpine 11 GT Rev.2) It's dead silent and has equal if not a touch better performance than the stock cooler. Enough said for £8.50

MoBo: Has all the features she'd need and is nice and cheap. The only con I could find on this budget board is the lack of fan headers. The Aegis comes with a 4(?)-way fan controller which solves that issue.

Memory: While 2GB is enough to run WoW and 4GB is recommended and it just doesn't make a difference to up to 8GB concerning WoW. As a gamer I will not suffice for less and neither will my girlfriend. I used to game with 4GB and well, I'm not going back :P (Plus it's white!)

Storage: Pretty straightforward... a zippy black and white ssd and a simple hdd for extra storage

GPU: According to Logical Increments there is no real need to be using anything higher than a R7 370 for WoW at 1080p. And it's one hell of an upgrade from her current 650 Ti

Case Fans: The only con to the Bitfenix Aegis is it only comes with a single fan, thus I opted for my favourite white led fans.

PSU: Fairest Priced semi-modular psu I could find. Yes I know the Corsair CX's aren't amazing, but this had a decent pricetag for a low(ish) wattage semi-modular psu.

Monitor: She wants a 24" 1080p monitor (currently gaming on a 19" 1440x900) and well, I'm a BenQ fan so this seems like the perfect buy.

Opinions on the GF's Aegis Mk. 3?

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Changes I would make

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £88.20 @ Aria PC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £54.80 @ More Computers
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £35.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £39.57 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £36.95 @ Scan.co.uk
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card £113.94 @ Aria PC
Case BitFenix Aegis Core (White) MicroATX Mid Tower Case £60.04 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £57.35 @ Aria PC
Case Fan Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan £13.98 @ Ebuyer
Monitor LG 24M47VQ 60Hz 24.0" Monitor £106.90 @ Aria PC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £607.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 01:34 BST+0100

Closer to budget with a better PSU and gfx card

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Really like your suggestions!! However the BenQ has higher ratings and better reviews. I think I'll be sticking to that. Otherwise, I feel stupid for not considering the GTX 950's! Will be keeping an eye out for the MSI GTX 950 OC version as I love the aesthetics. Otherwise, thank you! +1

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem that wasn't actually the monitor I meant to pick but on reflection you could get the 1ms version of the Ben q for the same price as the original build.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll be honest here. Not a fan of non-modular psu's at all and I hate to say this but the Seasonic Eco isn't modular either - partpicker is wrong :O I have no complaints with my CX600M in my own pc. I don't really see the problem with the CX series myself. I've read that they're mediocre but I haven't experienced issues.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube