add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

£300 Light Gaming for Kids

Master-Zixx
  • 55 months ago

Girlfriend and I are both gamers. I posted a draft yesterday of what I would build for her when I can put some money aside. The main game we play is WoW. Her kids have a character each on her account. I said if either of them get a character up to 100 I'd build them a pc. Not each, to share. Nothing to worry about yet, they're lvl 5 each. However I'm a geek and like to draft. They'll be getting her old 1440x900 monitor which significantly lowers the demand on the graphics card, plus they won't need to be playing "144fps Ultra settings zomg!". Thus my choice for the GT 730, I'm still slightly iffy however because it is a low end graphics card. My instincts say it'll suffice though. The G3250 is the locked sibling to the G3258. I don't like oc'ing and from what I know WoW doesn't need much more than 2 cores. Nor more than 4gb of memory. And that's the most intense thing it'll run. It won't have many games, so the 250GB SSD will mean zippy run speeds while having enough storage. So that's my reasoning. What's your opinions?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3250 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor £41.03 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £54.80 @ More Computers
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory £18.31 @ CCL Computers
Storage Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £62.99 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GT 730 1GB Video Card £40.44 @ Amazon UK
Case Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case £36.92 @ Ebuyer
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £51.67 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £306.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 17:43 BST+0100

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

Nothing wrong with your build given your description of the requirements. I just had a play around to see what I could come up with.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor £51.51 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus H81M-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £40.99 @ Amazon UK
Memory GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory £26.40 @ Amazon UK
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £34.98 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB StormX OC Video Card £88.50 @ Scan.co.uk
Case Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case £29.90 @ Aria PC
Power Supply SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £29.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Total £302.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 18:33 BST+0100

I've switched back to the overclocking CPU as if the mobo has the bios I think it does then you can simply overclock automatically, it even takes into consideration what type of cooling you are using (including the stock cooler).

Doubled the ram, why not for £8?

Halved the ssd which might be a problem but I'm sure it's enough for most people's needs especially if the PCs use is as limited as you say.

Windowed case.. Maybe the kids will get a kick out of it. And went for the 750 ti in case graphical demands increase... A session on the TV or something..

As I said your build seems fine so feel free to disregard completely :)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, I like what you've done!! Really like the case!! I get a kick out of it, let alone the kids! Did a quick google on the H81M-A board, the answer is ASUS with a BIOS update made it possible for their H series board to oc. Still not a great fan but if its as easy as you claim, I may give it a prod. Really hate to say it but the seasonic eco is NOT fully modular -- partpicker is wrong :O ! Have been tempted by the 750 Ti myself. Thank you for your messing. It's not disregarded and gave me a few ideas :) I'll see what I can come up with thanks to you ;-)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I found that out earlier about the psu which is a shame but it's still a nice unit given the price.

Honestly I tried overclocking my g3258 using the same method on the stock cooler and in a few minutes it almost perfectly matched my own "safe" overclock I had spent hours tweaking. It was a tiny bit higher in volts but it didn't really affect the temps I was totally impressed by it.

I also have a 750 ti and it hasn't let me down yet gaming at 1080p. Again nvidia has done a great job on auto tweaking the detail settings so I let it have its way and it looks great.

Both CPU and GPU were stop gaps but now I'm not willing to upgrade for anything less than amazing lol

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

As I said, you definitely inspired me and I see where you're coming from and really like a lot of your choices. I only prefer EVGA (have a 760 SC w/ acx myself) and think for a pound more its a good alternative. I also swapped out the 2 GeIL sticks for a single Kingston. It's a bit more... my reasoning being that if this machine would ever need a memory upgrade, it would be cheaper to add a single stick than to replace two. I agree with your ssd choice, 120GB will probably do, and if they need more space an additional hdd is cheap enough.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor £51.51 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £41.52 @ Dabs
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory £35.08 @ Ebuyer
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £34.98 @ Amazon UK
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card £89.98 @ Dabs
Case Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case £29.90 @ Aria PC
Power Supply SeaSonic ECO 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £29.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Total £312.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 20:11 BST+0100

Thanks for your input!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks great. I didn't notice the evga card was that close in price. I would do the same in fact that is the one I have!

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the dual fan version of that GPU and it works well for light gaming on a budget.

Nice build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube