add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel Core i7-4790K Upgrade

MAOwarrior

51 months ago

Hi, I am going to be buying a R9 390X very soon and would also like to beef up my system alittle. My current build = https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/MAOwarrior/saved/#view=yf7MnQ I am looking at buying a nice new i7 but do not know what motherboard I should pair with it. I play new games such as Fallout 4 at ultra 1080p 60fps, I may possibly be buying a 120/144hz monitor in the next half a year. I also do a little bit of 3d rendering and video editing on my PC. Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

This would be a good board, and it fits the loose black/white theme: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97sslikraitedition

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I haven't heard anything bad about the Krait mobos, and they do look really sweet in all black and white.

Although, it really depends on your requirements and budget. I'd recommend you go with a Z97 chipset whatever you do, since it has all the overclocking features you'll want for a K type processor. After that there are a few considerations, do you want onboard wifi? What about the onboard sound? M.2 drive slots? RGB LEDs for ultimate bling? There's tons of options to choose from, so narrowing down your requirements would help a lot.

I personally am running an Asus Maximus VII hero and its been wonderful. The onboard sound solution is on par with most sound cards and I've been able to maintain some pretty nice stable overclocks on my processor with it. It also has a cool red LED backlight, which is nice. Plenty of sata 6gb ports too, in case I want to add more ssds down the line, and it does have an M.2 slot which I'm considering utilizing for a boot drive.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, and yeah, my loose colour scheme which currently includes one dodgy red LED fan and a yellow GPU, soon to be orange GPU XD

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube