add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacement PSU suggestions?

mstrmind820937
  • 51 months ago

My current psu seems to be on it's last legs. For the last few days, whenever I have tried to play any GPU intensive games, my PC would just restart. This is with GTA 5 and Shadow or Mordor.

I have a GTX 970, so thinking it was the drivers, I rolled back to a previous version. Didn't help. Tried a complete PC clean, reseating and replugging cable connections. Still no change. Listening to the system I can now hear coil whine from the PSU and sometimes a squeling sound before the PC restarts that was never present before. Are my worst fears now confirmed and I need to replace the PSU?

If so suggestions for a quiet PSU? Was thinking of the Corsair RMi 750w.

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

If so suggestions for a quiet PSU? Was thinking of the Corsair RMi 750w.

the RMi is an excellent PSU but overkill for one 970, a 500-550 watts PSU will be more than fine. If you are thinking of adding a second 970 later on then get a 650-750 watts PSU.

this would be an excellent choice for a 750 watts PSU (89 bucks on amazon and this psu has a 10 year warranty)

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

if you are not planning on adding a second then something like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1550gts3x

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube