add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions on the dual core obsolete rumor

Master-Zixx
  • 51 months ago

I am hearing many people say that dual cores are becoming obsolete within the next year for gaming. I'm wondering how true this is and what this means in a few areas. Firstly: does this only consider the AAA titles to be released or in general? Secondly: is this only if you wish to play games maxed out, what about those that aren't fussed with "ultra, 144fps 4k zomg!", those in the mid to low range. Lastly: what about i3's they'e hyperthreaded dual cores, so does that mean they would be intel's new budget option? Or are you restricted to i5 or better if you wish to go blue team for gaming?

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Its going to be a very long time before they are completely obsolete, you can force games that require 4 cores/threads to run on 2 only but I personally wouldn't rely on or recommend a quick fix a patch can break. They can still pack quite a punch and most game devs want there game accessible to the largest audience so they aren't going to make having a quad core required unless they have to or someone is paying them to for some reason. Also with the i3 and its hyperthreading if you count that as a dual core, I would say never.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube