add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgradable Mini-ITX iGPU Build - Opinions Wanted

Master-Zixx
  • 50 months ago

Getting the itch to build again and I'm entertaining the idea of a small form factor budget build that can be upgraded over time. I really don't want to surpass £350 and I'd prefer to stay below it as much as possible. I've looked at both the red team and the blue team and have drafted individual builds for each. As far as I know, the A10 and the i3 have similar overall processing and graphical performance. My main concerns are with how the memory will affect performance and how upgradable it will be. My future plans would be a GPU, an extra Hard Drive and maybe an extra stick of 8 gigs as each is needed. If this comes to fruition it will be for light-medium gaming @1600x900 (yes, that will be upgraded eventually as well) and the target audience won't be fussy about ultra 60fps as long as it plays

Red Team

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £89.34 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard MSI A88XI AC V2 Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard £68.99 @ Ebuyer
Memory Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory £40.20 @ More Computers
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £53.94 @ Amazon UK
Case Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case £34.23 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £34.94 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £321.64
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-18 08:04 GMT+0000

Blue Team

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor £94.98 @ Ebuyer
Motherboard MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard £78.51 @ Amazon UK
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £29.56 @ Novatech
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £53.94 @ Amazon UK
Case Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case £34.23 @ Amazon UK
Power Supply XFX TS 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply £34.94 @ More Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £326.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-18 08:17 GMT+0000

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

TL;DR Blue Team.

As far as I know, the A10 and the i3 have similar overall processing and graphical performance.

AFAIK the i3 CPU is faster than the A10 CPU, while the A10 iGPU is faster than the i3 iGPU.

My main concerns are with how the memory will affect performance ...

When using integrated graphics, faster memory makes a significant difference in gaming performance.

... and how upgradable it will be.

In terms of upgradability, the i3 undoubtedly wins.

In terms of gaming performance using the integrated graphics, the A10-7850K is much better than the i3-6100. It supports DDR3 up to 2400 MHz (or maybe higher).

On the other hand, the i3-6100 has a much better CPU performance as well as upgrade path. It only supports DDR4-2133 unless you are using a Z170 board (which is relatively expensive).

If you are more concerned about gaming performance until you add a discrete graphics card, go with the A10-7850K. However, if I were you I'd get the i3-6100 since it's newer and has a faster CPU, which will matter more when you upgrade to discrete graphics.

As for the rest of the parts, they're good choices.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. The more I thought about it, the i3 was more tempting. For all I keep an open mind about AMD, I do prefer intel/nvidia.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

All right then! :-)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube