add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Asus GTX950-2G draws power from PCIe slot?!

Master-Zixx
  • 47 months ago

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GTX950-2G/

So Asus is bringing / has brought out a new GTX 950. This one doesn't need any PCI power cables. Would this mean you could pop it into any machine with a spare PCIe 3.0 slot?

My thinking is, let's say a friend store-bought a decent pre-built pc from Currys PC World or something like that and he decided later on that he wanted to ascend from his xbone to the pcmasterrace. Said friend wouldn't necessarily have to build himself a whole new gaming rig. He could just pop in this particular GTX 950 and to a greater or lesser extent enjoy the PC Master Race?

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The one you listed needs a power connector, this new one doesn't.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

As I said, decent pre-built. Not something you bought for a hundred quid :P

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Been looking at these since I read about them a couple of weeks ago. They'd go great with my office's Dell Optiplex 9020. The cards were supposed to be released today - I don't see them listed anywhere tho nor any indication of price.

• 47 months ago
  • 0 points

It is a downlocked and gimped version of the 950.

What is cool about these is that for the first time ever, you COULD run a dual GPU setup which required no external power. Now this wouldn't make much sense, but what it would allow is the ability to build a moderately mid range gaming computer with dual GPUs that used under 200w of power at load.

You could, for example, get 2 of these, an i5 6400, and still come in under at only 210w at FULL 100% load. You would likely be under 200w when gaming. This is pretty cool. Not that anyone would ever do it, but it is a very cool thing. Yes you could just do a gtx960 + i5 build have around the same power use, but that is not nearly as cool as a dual GPU gaming machine under 200w.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes! Now I can use oem seasonic psus in midrange gaming rigs without molex adapters

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that's really cool!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I wonder if there are any cases that support minitx psus and full size gfx cards (or at least short gfx cards)

Edit: can't find one that is mini itx, but there are a few microatx htpc cases that would work for sli with a minitx psu

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

It makes sense if you do it with this

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

SLI in a case like that would be awesome but I don't think that case supports full height GPUs.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Derp, I was thinking that the gpu linked above was half height. So close!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I know! I thought that for a second too!

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

You always q n' a your own comments xD

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube