add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this a good PC for Minecraft shaders at 60FPS?

MinerBoy004
  • 50 months ago

NEW PART LIST: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kWFkCJ

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JsjQ8d

Hello. I'm looking to build a cheap PC but not sure what to choose.

Looking at Minecraft shaders benchmark videos, the Geforce GTX 960 can get 60FPS and above, but so can the Geforce GTX 950, so I'm not sure what to choose.

I can't find any Minecraft shaders benchmark videos for the Intel Pentium G4400, because they all use it with some integrated graphics card, but some people us it, so I guess this is good.

The motherboard is what I decide, too. I want one of those "fancy click UI" motherboards, so I was looking at MSI's, except they cost a lot. I also heard some bad things about ASRock, but it is cheap, so I guess I'll go for it.

The power supply is what I can't decide, too. I want a fully modular one, but do I need it? Same with the 80+ rating, should I get bronze or gold?

Those are the questions I have. Thanks for helping me if you can!

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy overkill, it's Z170 and about $60 over what you need. Also you don't necessarily need thermal paste if you're not overclocking and have the stock cooler (unless you really want to change the paste). The power supply is a bit much for this build, fully modular isn't necessary unless you want an ultra-modded build with custom cabling. The list including the changes as follows:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $58.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $44.99 @ Micro Center
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $32.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $38.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.24 @ Directron
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $204.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case $73.46 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ NCIX US
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $583.53
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $568.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-22 20:03 EDT-0400

If you're willing, you could upgrade to an i3 6100 as it will bring you back to the same price point. But, that is just a luxury, so it is not necessary.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the stock cooler already have thermal paste on it? Also, should I go with Seagate or Western Digital? I had some problems with Seagate in the pass, it was hard drive failure, but they might of made there hard drives better now.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I made a new part list, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FJjQ8d

I'm not sure if I should keep the Geforce GTX 960, and if I should switch the wireless network adapter with a USB 2.0 one.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Seagate is known for hard drive failure more than WD. And yes, the stock cooler comes with paste on it. I wouldn't go for the fans as your setup has low heat output, unless you want them for aesthetics. If you really want 60 with full shaders, I'd get the 960.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay. Is this good? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R7d2gs

Another thing, which AMD graphics card is equivalent to the Geforce GTX 960? Because it might be cheaper and I might get it instead.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The R9 380, though I'm not quite sure if Minecraft is optimized for AMD. It outperforms the 960 however. And yes, that's good.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I have heard that SUES sharers run better on AMD graphics cards.

This is the new part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FVyd4D

Someone says that graphics card runs hot, so I'm not sure if I should get it, but it shouldn't be a big problem.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a 950 if you aren't gonna play any other games, but a 960 if you play other games. Pascal and Polaris is coming out so expect some price drops in the future. Keep the power supply since it will do better in the long run. The motherboard you have is overkill unless you're gonna upgrade in the future. Good luck on your build!

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The part list is alright, but is gonna need a little tweaking, especially for a game like Minecraft being more CPU intensive than graphically intensive, even with shaders. The initial problems with the current PC list is that your motherboard is overkill for that kind of system, it's ITX (which is just harder to work with), your CPU with 2 cores will CHUG on any CPU bound game, and your PSU is a little overkill. That means you're probably gonna need a quad core for any game. Not just MC, but also any AAA game that you may want to get into

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $73.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard $74.99 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $29.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $169.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $509.51
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $469.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-24 23:07 EDT-0400

I also do have another system that is built mainly for looks, and a lot less for performance. I really wouldn't recommend doing something like that, but if you're interested you can let me know

Hope this helps!

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Any recommendations to this list?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kWFkCJ

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the list I put up, and the list that was put up are pretty comparable to each other. There are differences however

The CPU on the Intel build is weaker (in a way) than the 860K I picked out. You only have 2 cores, which will absolutely be HAMMERED on any AAA game. And saying that Minecraft is more a CPU bound game, a CPU with more cores should perform better, even if it is lower performance per core

The motherboard on the Intel build is a MATX (Micro ATX) which means it's not just smaller, but comes with less expansion. Plus MATX boards in a ATX chasis is a little harder to work with. Also they just look odd IMO

RAM, either config is great. Dual channel shouldn't effect performance that much however. You'll have more expansion for RAM later down on the road. Another large issue is that the motherboard only supports 2 sticks of RAM, so you would end up having no expansion whatsoever, and be stuck with 8GB of RAM.

The GPU's are also comparable between the lists. The R9 380 DOES outperform the 960, but it does eat up a little more wattage than the 960. Either card is fine really, I would prefer the 380 actually for the raw performance.

Nothing to note about the cases, both are very good budget cases.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The only reason why I don't want to choose the processor you choose is because it only supports DDR3 RAM. And the RAM you choose is $30 for 1 stick of 8GB, while the RAM I choose is 2 sticks of 4GB for $30, with higher speed, too. Should I go with a different processor then? I still want it to be cheap, though. (pl0xz don8 graphics card 2 me!!!!11!!1!!11!!111)

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

4 gb 960 does nothing. the card is not designed to handle that and has very little preformance gains from a 2 gb card. also get a 750ti if just for mc or 270 but not 950 those things are as much as a 960 and it is mediocre at best. Take the saved money and get an i3 or even i5 6400! if you can budget a 6500 (190) it is the best price to preformance cpu. dont listen to the guy who says seagate fails because all hdds fail. not often and probably not in the lifespan of your cpu but around here one person says something because they had bad experience and then others read that and copy it without any real proof. then when a bunch of people are saying that one thing it becomes fact but a major computing company tested harddrives with 100s of thousands of gigabytes of data and seagate wd and hitachi ended up ontop.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I updated my part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kWFkCJ

Is it good?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube