add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cleaning old thermal paste

Gooberdad
  • 50 months ago

I noticed my laptop was getting hot near the speaker area and top section of the keyboard when playing WOW. After installer SpeedFan to monitor temps I saw my cpu and gpu temps were getting as high as 83C. It would cool down a bit with the laptop cooler pad fans on at 77C playing and idle at 38C. I found a good deal on an SSD on craigslist and upgraded from my HDD and went ahead and jumped to Windows 10. Like a goober I put the cover back on and played away checking the temp periodically to make sure it didn't get above 77C anymore. I finally decided to take the cover back off and get the heat sink out to clean all the dust out and such. I found the thermal paste has broken down into two substances: a gum like version of the original paste and oily mess. There was not any dust build up I could seesince I had been using compressed air to clean out the vents from both ways. Cleaning and reapplying the thermal paste has lowered my temperatures to max of 62C gaming with the cooler pad fans on and 26C at idle. I am guessing that thermal paste of any design will need cleaning and replacing after a few years, but the stuff these store bought laptops and desktops will need it after just a year. Anyone else seen how long say https://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-cmq225g lasts? How about when you like to clean and reapply.

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I originally posted this in the wrong section.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

After seeing the difference with my little AMD apu I am now going to get my wife's laptop and do the same thing to its i7 and gpu.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube