add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How good is the GTX 760 at 1080p gaming?

TrivTrav
  • 80 months ago

I'm going to be spending about $260 on a GPU for my build. I'm going to be using an Asus 23" monitor with DVI cables at 1920x1080p @ 60Htz.

I'll be playing Arma 2, Arma 3, and DayZ and would like to get an average 40-60FPS constantly. (I'm aware of the big cities in DayZ/Arma causing major FPS drops)

Here is my build-- http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TrivTrav/saved/2t3C

What would recommend other than a GTX 760 for 1080p gaming. I'm no fanboy so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

Have some benchmarks:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-760-review-gk104,3542.html

Some random video of a guy "benchmarking" his 760 on Arma 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDDczSgJWIw

Overall looksl ike the 760 should be okay for those games.

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $109.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ Outlet PC
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.20 @ Outlet PC
Motherboard ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard $104.99 @ Newegg
Memory Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $63.04 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.98 @ Outlet PC
Video Card XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card $249.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $59.99 @ Microcenter
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ Outlet PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $94.98 @ Outlet PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $876.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-19 19:56 EDT-0400

I changed up your build a build. I like the ASRock 990FX Extreme3, but you should just spend the extra $10 on the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. 2400Mhz RAM because faster RAM is better if you EVER want to render videos.

The 7970 is a beast, and it comes with 3 free games. You're actually only paying $776 for this build. I went with a reliable 750 watt PSU because 750 is great if you ever want to upgrade your CPU, or GPU later on. I also chose Windows 8 because your system will perform better, just make sure to upgrade to 8.1 since it's a free upgrade.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh hot diggity dog!

I have a couple of nit picks about this build.

1. I will either be getting the Gigabyte GA990FX-A UD5 or the Asus 5M5A99x EVO. I'm trying to get a black/silver color scheme.

2. The XFX brand has had many bad reviews. Locked voltages. Overheating. DOA. I'd much rather get an Asus, MSI, or Sapphire.

3. I don't need 2400Mhz RAM. Take my word, I will never have any interest in video editing/recording.

4. I don't have a Microcenter ANYWHERE where I live. ;(

Other than that stuff, the build looks great. I thanks for the help!

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

The 990FXA-UD5 is a great motherboard, it will give you better performance if you want 3 way SLI.

You can get the MSI 7970 for $279.99.

Even if you don't need 2400Mhz RAM, just get it because it's only $1 than its 1600Mhz counterpart.

I didn't mention anything about Microcenter lol.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually I didn't notice that the RAM was only $1 more. :P

I'm going to be getting the Asus DirectCU Top HD 7950 for $250.

Sorry for the Microcenter thing :P I'm just mad that there isn't one where I live. :(

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

That sucks not having a Microcenter near you! I actually have 2 really close by. I wish I knew about the 3770K being $230 back in March when I built my PC that has an 8350 at 4.7,16Gb RAM, and a 660 Ti.

Anyways, have fun overclocking that 7950, it's a monster.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the help man. $230!!! WOW that's cheap!!! You still got a nice build there though. Do you play any Arma?

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are going to run the graphics card at stock,

GTX 760 > 7950

If you are going to OC the graphics card,

7950 >> GTX 760

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

So get the 7950 for stock, 760 for overclocking? I never got the >> << thing. :/

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

He's saying a 7950 will perform better with an OC

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I thought. Thanks.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, an overclocked 7950 will reach the performance of 7970.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this build complete, and you're just picking out a graphics card? Or are you going to be building this soon?

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm building/buying this on Cyber Monday, December 2nd. Nothing has been bought.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

just trying to help but i think you should build it by your self or having someone building it because a friend of my have brought a computer from cyber and was like 500 or 600 dollars and have to play most games on normal or low plus there lot of reviews saying that they have bad customer services and not putting the componets correctly

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Umm... I think you're confused. Cyber Monday is when almost everything that is sold on the internet is on sale for cheap. I'm building my PC myself from scratch. Hope this helps you.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

oh lol sorry :P

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube