add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Modifying a 70+ year old radio to be a pc case.

Gooberdad
  • 48 months ago

Would you fix a 70+ year old radio or modify it to hold a small form factor pc inside?

I'm toying with this idea from the MSI Build guide https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/fDhPxr/msi-build-your-dream-pc-guide-1937-zenith-tombstone-homage Only using a mini itx and small form case and psu etc.

Here is an example of a restored unit.

http://www.tuberadioland.com/zenith5-R-135_main.html

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen someone do it before, just can't remember from what though.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I have Google it and seen some neat ones.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw that. Looks neat. I have picked up a 1937 Zenith Tombstone model 5r135 from a craigslist seller for $20. It is rough looking, but I think it will clean up.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as it will never work as an original radio ever again, I think it would be cool as a computer.

I would hate to see a 1937 Radio that's in working condition be dismantled and turned into a computer, destroying history... ;-;

Its like when they take a working vintage car and you strip it down and turn it into an ugly hot rod or rat rod, breaks my heart.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I hear you. Yeah this thing was just a paper weight.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, yeah, that'll make a good HTPC or computer ;D

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I've seen a really neat one a year or so ago on here.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you fix a 70+ year old radio or modify it to hold a small form factor pc inside?

if you want to do it and up the the challenge I would do it.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

depends on how much the radio is worth to you or someone else, who knows, after 70 years, even if its broken, your radio could be worth something to someone

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

The one I bought was $20 on craigslist. I've search for a restored version and it was a whooping $300. I don't think these are worth much unless they are a working original with their sticker intact. Just feeling guilty about gutting this thing as it approaches 80 yrs of age.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

see if you can't install some sort of modern radio, shield it from the rest of the hardware and have a 2 in one radio/ itx computer, you won't be able to find vacuum tubes for the original hardware

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah a tiny radio could fit sonewhere

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

you'd just need to find a good way of hiding the antenna

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Out the top like rabbit ears. No no. Maybe out the back and down. Here I picture of a restored one. http://www.tuberadioland.com/zenith5-R-135_main.html

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

That would be a pretty cool build and would definitely become a featured build on here provided you take some decent/good pictures.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

My photo skills suck. I'll have to get my wife to help.

[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I found one on craigslist for about $20. I think it will clean up ok, but it was missing parts and the upper support wood was coming apart. No I don't really want to fix it. I just feel guilty using something almost 80 years old for a computer case.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube