add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4x8gb and 2 PCs - Will it work?

BodaciousBuddha
  • 47 months ago

Check out this 4x8 kit going for $76 ($3.66 per GB). It's DDR4-3000 4x8GB CL 15 1.35v with a 15-16-16-35 timing. It seems like a good deal.

(1) Will I have any problems if I split the kit for 2 PCs? I'm trying to avoid potential BSOD or fiddling around with their timings if I can.

(2) Are non-Z170 mobos compatible with this "Z170 and X99 compatible" RAM? (assuming I'd get an H110, B150, or H170 mobo that supports 3000 MHz RAM).

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes any DDR4 board will be compatible with this RAM.

There is nothing wrong with splitting a kit of RAM between 2 PCs. I don;t see how this could possible cause any issues.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

From some tomshardware threads, I heard about possible timing issues since the kit is designed to work as a single kit. Then again, some of these threads were 3-6 years old...

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

No, that would be if you used different kits in the SAME PC. Using the same RAM but split between 2 PCs is perfectly fine.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, people might not think this is a joke if they are new to PCs.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

i recommend you to check mobo's memory support list to be sure

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If the mobo mfgr states that it'll support 'X' speed RAM, then you should be good. Just remember that you have to enable the XMP profile in the BIOS to get that speed otherwise it'll work as 2133Mhz by default.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube