add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

G3258 v X4 750k/860k - relative gaming performance when overclocked

BodaciousBuddha
  • 47 months ago

Here's a review from techspot which shows that the G3 is generally better than the X4 860k. "Focusing on the overclocked 4.4GHz results we found that on average the Pentium G3258 was 15% faster than the Athlon X4 860K when paired with the Radeon R9 285 and 14% faster with the GeForce GTX 960."

Here's the G3 v. X4 750k review from tomshardware. On a GTX Titan X, G3 > X4 750k.

Here are my concerns:

(1) According to the reviews, the G3 outperforms the X4; however, toms used a GTX Titan, and techspot used a GTX 960 and R9 285. So, differences in performance will be more exaggerated for toms' review. More importantly, people on a budget would be buying a $80-120 GPU. The difference in FPS across CPUs is generally negligible with lower-end GPUs, so the AMD v Intel decision doesn't matter for the short-run. Nevertheless, Intel is generally better for the long-run. [Agreed?]

(2) Techspot reports average FPS, and toms' reports average and minimum FPS. On tom's review, the G3 has a higher minimum FPS than the X4 750k (on average), but they're using a GTX Titan. For GPUs in the $80-180 price range, does the difference in minimum FPS drop to near-zero? Regardless, does the 860k have a similar minimum FPS to the G3 on higher-end GPUs?

(3) It seems that the G3 has better average and minimum FPS than the X4. However, the methodology from both reviews isn't clear. Are they running minimal background processes? How does the CPUs' performance compare in more realistic scenarios? Would the results hold when the situation shifts to multiplayer, playing music, running an internet browser, and so on?

From various forums and comments, I see G3 owners complaining about stuttering, so I'm skeptical about how well the reviews' results extrapolate to the real world. Furthermore, G3 builds do not sell well--at all--on eBay, so perhaps the G3 owners are right. If so, then isn't the X4 a better buy?

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I owned a G3258 at 4.1ghz and never had stutter issues. Paired with an r9 380.

The X4 is not at all a better buy because it has no upgrade path and is on a dead socket. The G3258 allows you to upgrade to an i5 or an i7 without changing boards.

G3 builds do not sell well--at all--on eBay

This means absolutely nothing at all.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree about eBay. Many customers are getting fleeced there, but the pattern makes me wonder if there's other factors going on.

Good to hear that you've had no problems with the G3.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting back on track: would anyone here recommend an X4 860k over a G3258?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to do budget 4 core gaming, wait for AMD's Zen, coming out later this year and early next year

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The G3258 is like a car that has a short transmission. It can accelerate much quicker than most cars that are a similar performance, and if you tune the transmission right vs. another car, you can even race toe to toe. However, once you max out the transmission, you're done for

The 860K is more like a standard car that is in general slower, but can reach a higher top speed than the G3258 in a sense, just being able to have a longer transmission.

Now replace the transmission with the Ghz and amount of cores, and there you go. IMO, the G3258 is a great CPU, however still cannot compete that well compared to 860k. And as more and more games start to leverage more and more cores, the G3258, despite it's insane speeds it can achieve, will be null as the gameplay experience isn't worth it and will be a stuttery mess as dual cores are even more obsolete.

I would personally wait for Zen, actually to see what quad cores come out, and how they fair to the Intel counterparts.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, and agreed on the Zen. I'm just wanting to get a better understanding of the budget CPUs.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I forget that the AMD cores aren't the same as Intel's. What're some good links for learning about the difference?

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 2 points

"G3 builds." Not the CPU itself. I'm also referring to the demand, not just the price.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

well obviously the demand for the G3258 has gone down because the G4400 is out and can use DDR4 RAM.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

"G3 builds."

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

Stop calling it a G3. It's not. Its the Pentium G3258. Call it the Pentium or the G3258. No one calls it the G3 and no one will know what you are talking about.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the demand for G3258 builds has ALSO gone down because of the G4400. But ebay is a bad example to use because no one who knows anything about PCs is buying them off ebay.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you talking about? The G3258 has always been the same price.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

That's true because any producer has to buy parts in order to make a computer. Not sure how that insight is useful...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube