add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moved house. Black screen.

Master-Zixx
  • 46 months ago

So I recently moved house and finally got to the stage to set up my girlfriends tower in the bedroom. Set up the tower, plugged in all cables peripherals and monitor and nothing happened.

First I plugged the power leads into the monitor and tower, then plugged those into the wall. The monitor booted automatically and gave me the message no cables were connected (no surprise there, but worthy of note that it demonstrated red green and blue bars under the black and white message) so I powered it off. Second, I plugged the VGA cable into the monitor and the other end into the VGA port at the back of the GTX 650 ti. I then proceeded to plug in all the USB and audio peripherals: keyboard, mouse and headset. Thinking that's all that is needed I powered the system on.

Fans started spinning nicely, the tower made its usual happy beep to tell me it booted up, all the peripherals lit up appropriately, but the screen stayed black. It was visibly on but showed absolutely nothing.

Any help?

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like the monitor is the issue here. Do you have another you could test with?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

It may be something has worked loose from the Motherboard?

Disconnect the power, open the case, ground yourself and reseat all the components and cable connections.

http://www.custompcblog.com/hardware/post-test-a-motherboard

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

It's posting correctly

Fans started spinning nicely, the tower made its usual happy beep to tell me it booted up, all the peripherals lit up appropriately, but the screen stayed black.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, but if there is no signal out, the GPU might not be seated properly.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

That was my thought. I do not believe the monitor has any issues because as I said when no cables were connected it was contently showing me that coloured message. Also the screen wasn't off, there was backlight. I'll have a look inside the case in about an hour. I have a few other priorities first. Thank you for your help, both of you. I'll tell you the results within the hour _^

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Update!!! Reseated the GPU, replugged its power cord, and its up and running!!! :D

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Whew....., right??!!??

Glad it's working again!

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Sake of argument -- and I admit you probably checked this if applicable but -- did you ensure the monitor is on the right input. I know most monitors don't have the concept of input as they auto detect but maybe yours does and being unplugged for so long reset it.

This said, my first thought too was that the GPU was unseated. Also, ensure the GPU power connects are properly connected. The computer would still post even if the GPU didn't have power (as I recall)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeppo, I did check that ;-)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Shouldn't really necro this but I can't resist. This 1440x900 monitor only does VGA

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube