add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Whining noise from PC

Master-Zixx
  • 43 months ago

So as my GTX 760 passes its 3rd birthday and in the process ends its warranty, my PC greets me a couple weeks ago with an annoying high pitched whine. A gentle knock on the window straightened the noise out for the rest of the duration of the PC being switched on. But progressively that began to have no effect. So I decided to dust out my PC, in its current incarnation it hadn't been dusted yet so it was well overdue. No avail, the whining noise is still present.

So I decided to use my sensitive hearing to its advantage. Having removed the old HDD's a while ago due to drive failure it couldn't be them. The PSU chamber was dead silent. So I thought it was either the front fans, cpu cooler or gpu. Front fans were humming away, I know the fan curve of the intel stock cooler pretty well because it likes to rev up loudly on start up and then slow down (NO coil whine on start up). Which leaves my GPU. Is there any way I can resolve this noise now its past warranty? Or should I set my sites on a GTX 1060/50?

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Easiest way to find out if it's your gpu. Take it out. If it's still there it's not your gpu,

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube