add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

FPS console gamers first PC build! Any advice appreciated

jmista90
  • 46 months ago

Hi everyone,

I've been a competitive halo player on the Xbox since H1, and am looking to put together a capable PC gaming rig for a reasonable price. I'm not looking to play Crysis on ultra 4K but would like to be able to play most all games on high with around 60fps avg. Let me know what you like or don't like, and what you think could be better! Thanks everyone, I'm pretty pumped for the build to happen at some point soon.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jmista90/saved/#view=sCPypg

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The FX 6300 is going to fall very far from your goal of 60FPS. Its of terrible value, its out done out by the 860K and G4400 for less and is murdered by the i3 6100 for only a few dollars more and even a i3 6100 is going to have trouble getting a avearge of 60FPS or higher. You will for sure want more than 240GB of storage for a gaming build. That GTX 970 costs about $70 too much. I would get a better PSU. Also that keyboard and mouse price is about $10 too high. What is your max budget and are you using mail in rebates?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I have an external HD already so that's why I didn't include more storage. The CPU clocked high GHz, is an Intel that much better than AMD? Do you have a link to a 970 you'd recommend?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPU clocked high GHz, is an Intel that much better than AMD?

There is a lot more to CPU's than just Ghz. The i3 6100 and the Pentium G440 both would be better CPU's for gaming although you would want to aim higher if you want a average of 60FPS or greater.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $179.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $34.98 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $62.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $92.99 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $16.98 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $31.98 @ Newegg
Other RX 480 4GB $200.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $823.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-27 23:04 EDT-0400

The RX 480 is better than the GTX 970. The only downside is that its out of stock just about everywhere so you will need to wait for it to come back in. It has a much much much better CPu, it even out performs the FX 9590. It has a decent motherboard, a better SSD, and a much much better PSU. No idea what your max budget was so I tried to say close to $800.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again for the reply. So I was actually researching last night and I think I will def go ahead and try for the 480 4GB. I see the 8GB in stock but I don't want to spend the extra $100 for it. So is there no cheaper CPU you'd recommend from AMD that is of similar performance to the IF-6400? I know the huge battle between AMD and Intel but it seems you can get a lot of performance for less with an AMD chip??? I'm not too confident in what I need from a MOBO but I've just been looking at ones that had good reviews with a decent price. Also is there anything specific I need out a wireless adapter? I figured they all run about the same, I'm not running Gigs up/down as far as speed goes but it needs to handle 100mbs ul/dl....

Thanks for your help. Joe

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

So is there no cheaper CPU you'd recommend from AMD that is of similar performance to the IF-6400? I know the huge battle between AMD and Intel but it seems you can get a lot of performance for less with an AMD chip???

No, the closest to performance would be the FX 9590 but it would cost a lot more and would still perform worse. The days of AMD having good bang for your buck are gone sadly.

is there anything specific I need out a wireless adapter?

You will want at least a 802.11b/g/n capable adapter. The one you have is fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube