add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Crucial MX300 and Plextor M7V

BodaciousBuddha
  • 44 months ago

Check out this list of SSD's .

The new fast stuff has a price per GB close to and sometimes lower than the older, budget SSDs.

If I was to get an SSD, I'd get that Plextor M7V or Crucial MX300 before they go back up in price.

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh.. yeah. Relative to hard drives? Kinda. On that tradeoff between capacity and speed, I opt more toward speed. For me, it's 75/25. No Samsung 850 EVOs for me.

That Plextor M7V has a $10 off code at newegg, so it's $70 for 256GB at 90% 850 EVO speed. With a $65 3TB 7200RPM 64MB on the side, I'm at my optimal point on the tradeoff.

Man, even dropping $40 for a 120GB SSD is worth it. I love having responsiveness. Programs pop up! It's awesome because I can maintain my mental flow without having the PC 'lag' on me.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, for gaming, it's different, but if the user is rocking a GTX 960, R9 380, or even a 1060/470, the performance of the CPU doesn't matter. In the $90-200+ range for the CPU.

If a person values their time, they take an SSD. $40 for a 120GB boot drive with 2-5 games makes a lot of sense.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, I'm not so sure. If you save 10% to 50% on the loading times, then it seems worth it. Just depends on the frequency and duration. For me, I like the smooth flow, so I can concentrate instead of getting interrupted from the HDD spinning up to go fetch something (or getting bogged down in a read/write situation).

All's good though. It's pretty subjective.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube