add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Realism in mainstream FPS action games

Xorex64
  • 43 months ago

Are they realistic enough? Too much? Too little? What else can be done? I want to see discussion.

My friends and I were playing R6 vegas, and we were talking about how COD was more realistic since you could shoot your team mates. (Calm down, we got smarter after that, we realized cod is not realistic at all)

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 5 points

I would say realistic enough for them to be fun for most people. Not everyone wants to play a game as realistic as Arma 3.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

This. There is a point where "more realistic" starts to make your game less fun. Personally I think there is a nice variety for people to pick where they want to be on the realism scale.

TF2 - CS - CoD - BF - ARMA, just an example. How realistic do you wanna get? You can choose.

Obviously these games are open to debate in terms of where on the scale they should go but at the very least I think TF2 and ARMA are correctly placed lol.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I may be picky but I think there's some room between BF and ARMA that would be the sweet spot for me. I don't want to be able to jump out of an aircraft, snipe someone in another aircraft then climb into theirs like I see on some BF gifs on Reddit. Nor do I enjoy having my entire crew get decimated because I suck at ordering them where to go in ARMA. Can I have something in between?

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

ironically enough all i want to do right now is play arma 3

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Not realistic enough. In real life if you get shot, in particular a shoot to the head you don't re spawn again typically.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Would you enjoy more realism?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Speaking seriously, the current balance in terms of health is okay. For those wanting more there are more realistic titles such as ARMA 3. Also most recent games do have Hardcore mode so in all decent mix. Personally though the whole genre itself has become somewhat stale for me at least, but that is a different matter.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

rofl

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Escape from Tarkouv anyone?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I think games are getting too realistic.

Games today are trying to focus on hyper-realism, making things look so lifelike. The issue with that is games 10 years ago tried to do the same thing, and their graphics have aged poorly. In 10 years, when we have reached another plateau, todays games will not have aged well. When games focus on hyper-realism and that is all that have, which today can often be the case, then that game will no longer be any good in about 10 years.

Games like TF2 and Overwatch are stylized, and while their graphics may not be the very best, the style means that they will age better than many of the hyper-realistic games.

Take the movie The Incredibles. The movie is stylized to where, in my opinion, it still holds up to many CGI-based movies like Transformers, which are based on hyper-realistic looking mechs.

Then again, that's just my two cents on the matter.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Rainbow Six: Siege is the sweet spot in terms of realism for me.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

realism.... im still waiting to see a good AAA multiplayer fps that makes snipers deal with wind...

as a good compromise between realistic (arma 3) and not (team fortress 2), i have found Insurgency to be a great sweet spot... its more realistic than CSGO, but its still a fast moving action game in a sense... tactical, but not overbearing...

also, R6 Siege was better when friendly fire was a real thing to worry about... they changed that early into the open beta though due top trolls.... the alpha was better

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube