add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
danieltuttle
  • 44 months ago

I think it is about time for a new router. Mine is about 5 years old and I am starting to have issues with it. So I decided I want to get a new one. Any suggestions on which one I should get? I do a lot of media streaming and some gaming. My gaming computer is hardwired directly into the router and I wirelessly stream media to 5 different devices. Any suggestions? I want to stay around 100 dollars but can go as high as 160.

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I am going to be a bit biased here and say get an ASUS router. I am a big fan of the hardware quality and the ability to use 3rd party firmware. I personally use an ASUS RT-AC66U. It has support for AC (Wave 1 Only) and N for high speeds, Gigabit ethernet ports, dual USB 2, and 3 external antennas. It's not too expensive at $115 as of writing this.

If you want to invest in a bit more speed on the 2.4GHz channel, the RT-AC68U is also good. It has faster N speeds, a faster CPU, and 1 USB 3. It costs about $155. This is likely not worth the upgrade unless you have some sort of streaming server or a large house and need fast, permeable 2.4GHz WiFi.

***Side note that ASUS routers have different last letters in their model names such as W or R instead of U. This is for White and Retail and doesn't affect the hardware.

***For the custom firmware, I use WRT Merlin. It aims to add feature to the stock firmware and increase performance. It is regularly updated and works fantastic on most ASUS routers.

Moving on, I hear the Netgear Nighthawk routers are also nice. The AC1750 is similar to the AC66U I mentioned above and the AC1900 to the AC68U. They have the same speeds but you may find you like Netgear better. I just wanted to mention them since they are rated so well and priced similarly.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Linksys WRT1200AC. Awesome router and very reliable. VERY strong 5ghz band which is very nice. I love mine.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

... and I wirelessly stream media to 5 different devices.

For ideas: SmallNetBuilder

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube