add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RAID-1 backup solution

Master-Zixx

40 months ago

I'm lightly entertaining the idea of getting two Western Digital Blue 2TB 5400rpm (rebranded green) drives and installing them into my main rig since I have the hard drive bays free.

I want to pair them in RAID-1 as a back up solution for important files. But I wish to set it up so that it backs files up from other devices in my home via WiFi as well. I would prefer to do this from within Windows.

Is this at all possible and is anyone awesome enough to roughly tell me how?

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know any backup software on the market, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to google them. :)

RAID is not backup. RAID 1 offers 24/7 online availability for drives even if one of them dies. It keeps your data secure and available. But it is not backup.

Backup is when you have separate copies of your data.

You can backup your data on a RAID 1 drive to keep the backup data protected from drive failure and be available 24/7 if needed. That's not a bad idea. If it's really important, I'd keep multiple copies of it, preferably on different locations (backup PC, main PC, file server, cloud, etc..)

If you have one RAID 1 array that you mean to use to store your data securely (but without a backup), you just share this drive in Windows and all other Windows machines can access it. Also, you can make backups of this from time to time. This could be done either manually (running a full copy onto a different drive) or via a small script that copies files during some idle time, e.g. 3 in the morning every day/Monday/whatever frequency you prefer.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

In simple terms, what I meant was to pair the two up in RAID-1 to achieve redundancy and then use the drive as a sort of mass storage for my household. I'm not the biggest fan of the cloud because it is most of the time subscription based. 2TB of storage is more than I need.

Edit: it doesn't need to be on 24/7, more like an archive. A filedrop?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

RAID-1 to achieve redundancy and then use the drive as a sort of mass storage for my household

Yeah, then the simplest solution is to share that RAID 1 volume. You can mount it on other Windows machine as a network drive

Here are some links how to do this:

Alternatively, there are dropbox-like services for home users. Do some googling around. :)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube