add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade or new build?

mstrmind820937
  • 43 months ago

Will be getting a new GPU soonish and I am weighing up whether it is worthwhile just upgrading the system or building a brand new system.

My current setup accommodates an array of HDD's and a GPU. The mobo doesn't have space to connect all the drives so I got a a new mobo, z97, a few months ago that would do so. But I put the re-build on hold for a while. Now that I am looking at changing the GPU, 970 that's faulty and being returned, deciding what to replace it with, thread on that here https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/191484-upgrade-from-970-to-10701440p-gaming

Current setup below/in sig. In addition, I have an extra PSU, extra mobo mentioned above, extra case with fans included, win 7 product key and an extra air cooler. With this in mind I could create two builds, one for gaming and another as a NAS/media centre. That would mean getting ram (16GB ddr3 I think) and a cpu to go with the z97 mobo (not sure but i5-4690k, correct me if i'm wrong).

Getting a 1070 would open up getting a 1440p monitor, so that would be another addition, but that would be last on the list of things to get/consider.

The reservations in going down the new build route would be costs and whether it is actually necessary.

Any suggestions/opinions/recommedations welcome.

Comments

  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I would just upgrade the gpu for now.. You could sell your cpu and see If you could get a cheap 4690k and overclock it.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I own everything in that build. And as I have mentioned in the 1st post, an extra mobo, psu, air cooler, case with fans and win 7 product key.

The GPU is being refunded as faulty. That money + possible a little extra if convinced will go on new GPU in the next couple of months.

Not sure what to do, but the options are a simple upgrade, or spilt the parts into a gaming PC and a NAS/media centre. Just trying to balance cost, necessity, and whether it is worthwhile doing so considering the extra parts I already have lying around. Splitting into 2 PC's would mean getting a new CPU, ram and possibly an SSD.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

A second motherboard, power supply, case, windows 7 product key and air cooler. All could be used in a second PC build.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, i see what you're getting at. You want me to create a part list with those second parts to allow others to fill in the gaps to complete the build? Is that correct?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube