add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What's up with RAM prices?

BodaciousBuddha
  • 43 months ago

Google just showed me a bunch of garbage analysis. Anyone know what's going on

Details:

Earlier is year, 2x8GB DDR4-2400 and sometimes 3000 was $50-70. If you're lucky, you can get that for $70 from the 'weird' brands. Usually, it's $80+. I'm talking about 20-40% price increase on RAM within 8 months.

IIRC, RAM prices hit a plateau around 2008-2012 then fell significantly between 2012 to early 2016. Recently, the prices have been rising quickly. I google'd around and couldn't find any solid evidence or analysis (unless I wanted to pay $1000+). There doesn't seem to be another Hynix catastrophe like 2013's.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Something happened in China, I think, with Samsung that caused an increase in RAM prices.

https://blog.neweggbusiness.com/components/whats-deal-computer-ram-prices/

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhhh, YES! Thank you

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you please explain the situation here. I am finding it a little hard to understand.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Updated the OP

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

iirc it's because of all the new phones using ddr4 ram. (could be wrong though)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems reasonable but if that was true, then why aren't RAM producers increasing their quantity supplied? Presumably, they were at an optimal profit when RAM prices were lower (2016Q1 and Q2). if so, then I'd guess that they're currently hitting peak production volumes but will be expanding their quantity supplied soon. Expect DDR4 desktop prices to fall!

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Not yet, right? With Samsung scaling back it's quantity supplied, price rises which attracts current producers to increase their quantity. Assuming that's their most profitable move, then prices should decrease within 3 months (if that a newegg blog article is correct about producing times).

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, they'll have to wait and see what their profit changes to--since Samsung left, and then decide on whether or not to make more RAM or more RAM for SSDs, etc. So.... 6 months out, high prices til then? :(

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Hahaha, took me the 3rd time to get it.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube