add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MyDigitalSSD 480GB PCIe SSD for $170 - killing the Samsung 850 on performance and price

BodaciousBuddha
  • 40 months ago

MyDigitalSSD BPX

$187 for 480GB. According to tomshardware:

'It's awesome!' (paraphrased). It's generally faster than the Intel 600p and slightly higher in price. These are M.2 drives capable of using the PCIe 4x bus--unlike the M.2 drives that are still restricted to SATA3 performance (Samsung 850 EVO). Main problem: restricted supply.

Alternatives:

For $170, the Intel 600p 512GB is priced competitively, but I'd pay an $17 for the BPX's higher performance during mixed and heavy workloads.

For $180, you've got the Crucial MX300 750GB. It delivers roughly 50% of the performance but offers more storage capacity.

If you didn't know any better, you'd be wasting your money on this. The Samsung 850 EVO 500GB saves you $10-27 while delivering about 75% of the performance. Run it under heavy or mixed workloads, and you get about 50% of the performance (similar to the OCZ Trion 150 and Crucial MX300's). Just compare the BPX charts to the 850's.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I was going to get their sata m.2. black friday weekend but the 600p went on sale for a ridiculous price. I'll be getting their 2.5" drive when I need more space, though. Cool to see a good review on the BPX. I had only heard of it today.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeaahhh, that 600p was ridiculously cheap! Good grab, sir. :)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

It's probably due to their pricing strategy. Get professional reviews, set a low price, then raise it when you get enough customer reviews. It's a relatively unknown brand, so the strategy seems reasonable.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube