add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU Fan not spinning.

lucedelsol
  • 41 months ago

Hi! I just recently finished building my very first pc and I have some question regarding the gpu.

When I started building my pc, I connected everything. I made sure all the connectors are well connected and are on the proper place. When I started it, there was no image display on the tv, and the system just turns off and on again and again. On the next day, I made sure everything is well connected again and then I tried placing the Ram stick on all 4 slots (They gave me 1 8gig ram stick even though the mobo has 4 dimm slots.) Finally placed it on the slot farthest from the cpu and everything started working fine (it stays on). But the problem was that nothing still appears on the tv screen.

Next day, I tried focusing on the 20+4 pin connector (really difficult to push and pull out). Turns out it wasn't that pushed in. Made sure the cables are connected properly, pressed the on button and viola, I'm on the bios. But I noticed something, the gpu fans spins for about 10 seconds and then it stops. I thought to myself it might be a feature on the new graphics card that it only spins when reaching a specific temperature. But then I started staring at the fan for a period of time and it started twitching. The fan spins, after 10 seconds it stops, then it twitches and then it spins again and then stops. The pattern continues on like that. So I just tried checking it if it's working properly through the device manager. I connected all the cables, closed the case, installed the OS, and the drivers of the mobo (CD), and the gpu (CD). The device manager said that the device is working properly. The Nvidia Control panel system information even recognizes the GTX 1060 6GB. The fan doesn't spin though as of now.

Should I be worried that my gpu is just laying low quiet but is actually broken or has a defect?

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

should be fine. download a temp monitoring program like HWMonitor or MSI afterburner and monitor temps. Play any game and you should see the fans spin as the temp rises.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try downloading the 3DMark app from steam? Will it do?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

yes, that is the one. It's free. Try Firestrike and Time Spy. Log into the results page to keep track of your results. I bought the key so I have more features. I think you can save unlimited runs. I have like 150 saved.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Let us know how you do in firestrike/time spy if it doesn't overheat and shut off your computer, as long as it starts spinning at 60c you should be good.

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

I did a benchmark test in Firestrike and I got a score of 10, 279 points. Also did a benchmark test in Unigine Valley and Heaven. It didn't shut off, but I noticed when the temperature reached 70 C, the fan starts spinning.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

My bad, it should be fine at 70c. Thats a very good firestrike score, I get 8,700ish with a gtx 970 and fx 8320.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

All right then, I guess my gpu's fine after all.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition to what jnanof suggested, I'd reach out to the manufacturer of the card about it, if it's not supposed to have the temp sensitive fan on/off feature something is wrong. Could be as simple as a loose connection under the heatsink, but that's something you want to get fixed while you have a warranty.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube