add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dark Souls Franchise - Where to start?

Master-Zixx
  • 37 months ago

I got Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition in a steam sale for less than a tenner a few years ago. I was highly turned off because of being locked into 720p@30fps and the excruciatingly obvious fact it was a console port. DS3 has been out for a while now and it has entertained my interest. I love my RPGs I have been getting a kick of late out of my action-rpgs. So I want to give it a go! I have just found out that there is a fix to bump up resolution and fps of the original and I now own a pc compatible game controller.

So... big question is do I start with the original dark souls or is it perfectly acceptable to jump right into Dark Souls 3 when it comes to story and such?

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I think there are mods to get the original Dark Souls to 60FPS

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Dark Souls 3 was my introduction and as of typing this, the only game in the series I have played. I have enjoyed my experience with the game and I don't regret starting on the 3rd game. Story wise, I barely understand what is going on. No strong story elements really popped out to me during my play through except for the occasional convoluted dialogue with characters along the way.

The bulk of the game, at least to me, was going from area to area killing ugly baddies and getting new and awesome armor and weapons; and that was alright with me! I enjoy the game for what it is and started a new play through the other day to get back into the game.

Dark Souls 3 has been on and off sale recently so I would definitely recommend picking it up!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely start with ds1. With about 10 minutes worth of modding you can make the game look and run wonderfully. There's just something so unforgettable about your first play through of it. Lore you can get from YouTube videos (VaatiVidya is the most popular and has the best production quality). Ds3 is also worth buying, but the PC community is atrocious. In pvp expect to be hated by everyone no matter what you use, and you'll definitely run into the occasional cheat engine user trying to ruin everyone's day. In DS1 fortunately, there's mods for anti-cheat.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube