add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I might change my PSU in the summer, would 850W be overkill?

CannedBullets
  • 85 months ago

Here's my build as it is right now

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/AJ0

And here's a possible upgrade plan for it (I'll upgrade the GPU and RAM later, possibly in a couple years)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/J8Du

Anyways my plan is to add a more capable PSU around summer so I can keep up with more power hungry GPUs which will come out later and to add an aftermarket CPU cooler so I can do overclocking. Would 850W be overkill even for the next generation of AMD's high-end GPUs? I'm thinking by the time I need to upgrade my GPU AMD would have come out with an HD 8000 or 9000 series (I'm just putting the 7970 as a placeholder, I'll probably change it when AMD comes out with their 8000 series).

Yeah my Dad doesn't want me to do any of this until I actually need to upgrade the GPU because its working fine right now. Its just that I want to get the CPU cooler so I can do overclocking and so I can get the PSU and cable management out of the way, which you can see is haphazard in my build.

Comments

• 85 months ago
  • 1 point

850 is an overkill for just a 7850, or even a single 7970. 550 w/ a 7970 would be close, but fine.

• 85 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I know its overkill right now. But would an 850W PSU be a good upgrade for future GPUs? Because I'm thinking that AMD's HD 8000 or 9000 series when it comes out will take up more wattage than my current 550.

• 85 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to be running an FX 6300 and I chose a 750w to be ready for the Steamroller processor I want to be 125w and the 8000 series graphics to pull more. It should be enough.

• 85 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe a little more than your 550, but not really enough to justify 850 unless you're doing a multicard setup.

• 85 months ago
  • 1 point

The 8000- and 9000-series (and onward) are actually more likely to use less power than the 7000-series. As it stands, 650W is probably the most you'll ever need for a single-GPU setup (as well as most low-end multi-GPU setups).

So unless you plan on grabbing mutliple video cards, I think you'll be just fine with 650W - the trend is genrally towards lower power consumption.

• 85 months ago
  • 1 point

So to be safe should I get a 700W or 750W if 850W is overkill for the 8000/9000 series? I don't think I'll run a crossfire set up. There's not really enough room for a second GPU.

• 85 months ago
  • 1 point

By "650W is probably the most you'll ever need" I meant "a 650W power supply is the most you'll ever need." (Read through this)[http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-review/27]; at load, their entire test system with a 7970 drew less than 400W.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube