add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Build myself vs paying company for custom build (with good reason)

lenoz
  • 87 months ago

I'm about to build/buy two new PCs - one mini ITX media PC and one bigger and more powerful all rounder. I'm about to do a different thread about the actual builds, but the specs are inconsequential when it comes to my query here.

So, I am quite busy. I have a full-time job, and another part-time job in the form of our lovely 9-month old daughter. I am busy, but YES I could find the time to make a new PC. Also though I would imagine (not tried before) that 9 month old daughters are not ideal to have around when you want to build a PC and also have to fulfil fatherly responsibilities of not shunning your family in deference to your new PC build!

This is why I am considering getting one of the decent name UK companies to build one, or more likely both, my builds for me. Obviously it's very important it's to a completely customised spec, it goes without saying I am still putting full effort into choosing the very specific parts.

This is what I know so far: CCL: add all the parts you want into a shopping basket on their site, and they charge £80+VAT to build them into a PC for you. Overclockers and Scan also do completely customised quotes, but I don't know how they work out the £££ or whether their markup would be as reasonable as CCL, which I think is very reasonable indeed.

Questions then: * have any of you ever bought a custom build from any of these companies? how would you rate their services?

• do you know of any other reliable companies that offer this service?

• I haven't got to the point of asking for quotes yet, but I'm guessing there would be little to no support involved afterwards - I'm assuming that if somehow the PC didn't function at all they would fix it, but what about something superficial like very disappointing cable management, where do I stand?

• I built my current PC but a long time ago, I can barely even remember how complicated things like CPU->thermal paste->motherboard are (this bit probably the only bit that scares me)

• Another part of me not having much time on my hands is that if I built myself I'd also be assuming everything works great first time... it might not.

• any other brainstorming type discussion. Pretty interested in opinions here. And yes I ABSOLUTELY feel a fraud for considering not building my new toys from scratch!

Comments

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

wow. this formatting is really not working out for me, sorry!

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, it's markdown like redit. You need a blank line above and below your list, it will take it out for you and look different. You need two spaces after a period to end a paragraph.
Like this.
Sample list:

• there is a blank line above this one that you can only see in edit mode.
  • I put two spaces at the end of the line above before hitting enter.
  • pretty simple but takes some getting used to.
  • 87 months ago
  • 1 point

The best answer I can give you is create a build here, try to recreate it on ccl, and look at the price gap. (it will be more than $80). If the price is worth paying to you, then go for it.
Honestly, if you don't care about the wiring pretty factor, a modern computer can be thrown together in 2 hours or so. Maybe another olhour messing with packaging. Many cases offer tools free mounting for hard drives and cd romantic drives. High end powered supplies come with thumb screws to secure them to the case, and the thermal paste is pre-applied. Just remove the plastic cover, align it over the cpu, and squish it down. That is an Intel coolers, amd is a little more challenging, but not by much.

• 87 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a ton more typos on my phone, sheez!

• 87 months ago
  • 3 points

yup, "CD romantic drives" - love it!

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

I snorted when I read that one. LOL

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

What can I say, I'm a lover not a builder. lol

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah the price gap from going solo with one merchant is of course a big factor too (and sadly we're talking GBP not USD!), at the moment it's hard to predict on PCPP as CCL isn't reporting prices on a couple of the items, e.g. the mobo, despite the fact I just searched their site and it is there, and in stock.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

If you buy all the parts youreself from scan they are a great company I have got parts from there before and would buy again but always remember if you buy the parts separately you wont be paying them to make it and other charges, but the company its self its great, im planning on building my next all rounder pc from there and the price difference from here to that store is about £100 difference

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

And to help you build it watch the 3 part video from newegg that will help alot

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks - spied it now. Over 2 hours long, blimey!

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know Scan are reliable. I'm going to "finalise" (nothing is ever quite finalised, is it?!) the parts list today and start asking Scan and Overclockers for quotes. We'll see how it works out, but good to hear a positive review.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Cause sometimes when you want to have them build it you cant choose the parts you want so put everything into the basket that you want and if you can make a full system scan may give you a lower price but theres no harm in asking

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube