add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dual System Build FreeNAS/4K Gaming

Master-Zixx

35 months ago

So two systems I am saving up for are a NAS and an upgrade to 4K for my main rig. I recently stumbled upon the Phanteks Mini XL which can house two separate systems one mATX and and an ITX system. My main rig is mATX.

I would be using the NAS mostly as a backup and cloud server (perhaps in the future dabble into a MC server for my little girl and maybe expand it as a media library... but those won't be immediate uses).

So, the two systems within the Mini XL:

Main Rig / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For £158.03
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler Purchased For £24.95
Motherboard MSI B150M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For £55.56
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory Purchased For £76.28
Storage Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For £272.00
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card £599.99 @ Scan.co.uk
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For £23.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1210.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-19 09:20 GMT+0000

Most of the above PC I already own, the only new part would be the GTX 1080. I am confident that for my needs and standards, a single 1080 will be more than sufficient for 4K gaming.

NAS / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4400T 2.9GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor £76.42 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Arctic Alpine 11 Passive CPU Cooler £12.41 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard £180.64 @ More Computers
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory £61.81 @ BT Shop
Storage Seagate IronWolf 3TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive £98.98 @ BT Shop
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £628.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-19 09:21 GMT+0000

My reason for the Pentium G4400T is because of the total TDP of the two CPUs; 100W. Extreme Outer Visions's PSU Calculator recommends a high quality 650W PSU for the combined system. I feel my current PSU will be good enough according to JonnyGuru and TomsHardware'ss PSU tier list.

I will be having the 3 HDDs in Raid Z1 with FreeNAS. This should be just under 6TB of storage which is more than enough for my needs.

I want to keep the always on NAS half of the system as quiet as possible. Therefore the Arctic 11 Passive. I originally considered the Ereboss Core but the ITX half has a height limit of 140mm. The fans in the system will be linked to my main rig and therefore only turn on when I boot up my main rig. I will also be adding noise dampening material to keep it quiet.

My concerns obviously lie with the passive cooling and the PSU. Is it possible to keep the NAS half passively cooled to keep noise to a minimum? And is 650W enough to power both systems reliably?

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Definetly an interesting concept, but I don't see why you can't just put the mass storage into your main system.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed, I have considered that. As I said, I wanted it always on so that it can act as a personal cloud server for my family, and personally I wouldn't like my gaming PC on 24/7

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube