add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Lowe
  • 87 months ago

My friend keeps telling me that a 450w PSU would be able to run a video card that requires 500w minimum, he then used physics to show me that it runs at less watts than stated and now I am all confused.

Comments

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't risk my system anyway. They do overestimate, but for a good reason.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

The good reason being that most PSU manufacturers use super ****** components and false advertising to upsell their units. If you do a little research into the video card you're looking to buy (google "[video card] power consumption") and your PSU options (check the amperage on their 12V rail, multiply by 12 to get actual output in watts), you can safely ignore those warnings (which, by the way, are not requirements, only recommendations).

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

The best power supplies to buy are Seasonic and Probably Antec, FWIW. Enermax used to be good, but I've heard the quality has gone down in the last few years. I hear XFX are actually pretty awesome, as well as PC Power and Cooling's MK3 Silencer series.

I ended up buying Seasonic with an overkill wattage so I didn't have to upgrade that, too, when I upgrade my processor/motherboard/graphics combo next year.

Either way, I would go at least with what the manufacturer recommends, especially if you plan to overclock.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

okay 450w might be enough, how about future upgrades?

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't plan on upgrading it for a while because I won't have any money. I did find a 500w PSU in my old computer that I am going to clean up then see if it works.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube