add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vocabulary survey

Xorex64
  • 32 months ago

Ay guys its ya boi Xorex here with another OT post. Does anyone even remember me? Meh.

I'm conducting a survey to test the vocabularies of various people. I'm going to give you 6 words in english. I want you to tell me which words you understood and what your approximate level of formal education is (unless you specify, I will assume you had your formal education in America). Don't put any definitions here and pls don't google any of the words until you finish or you arn't participating.

Words (6) :
promiscuous
Paradigm
Malicious
Embellish
Assuage
Commissar

And yes, I understand that this is a terrible way to gauge people's vocabulary sizes. Its just for fun and wont be used for acedemic purposes.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 4 points

Looks like a list of vocab from "The Big Bang Theory."

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

"I'll have you know I can bench press 100 billion nanograms."

"Sheldon, that's less than a pound."

"Ehh, still sounds big to me."

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I know 3/6.. not a native. I speak English well enough to be satisfied, though.. and people understand me. It's all good.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your approximate level of formal education? Did you receive it in America?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Ooh! Nah.. self-taught mostly, but I've been following bilingual education since grade 3. Grade 11 now.

It's quite slow-paced, though. It bothers me. >_<

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your time and cooperation

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah.. no worries.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

5/6. I replied to this on DIscord!

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes you did

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard all of these before, and could give a rough definition of all of them. Formal US education, junior in HS

English is kinda my strong point...

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

4/6. I don't think I have even heard of the second or last words, (or maybe I have and my memory just craped on me again) but I'll look into them.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

What is your approximate level of formal education?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

HS education.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm assuming you misspelled the first word, promiscuous. Otherwise, I have no idea what that word is XD

Know the rest, have a bachelor's degree.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Fixed.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Spelling? HS GED, 2 yrs. College. 6/6

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

You should do something for: their/they're/there and then/than and your/you're

and I only know 2 of the 6 (yeah, not too bright)

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

2 yrs of college

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Perfect, thanks

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually 3/6 - Mondays with a headache are a challenge.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup, I did. to and too are most frequently misused. Haven't seen two incorrectly used, but that is still a valid addition.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

They're alloting two lots of land to each person. Thats a lot of land, too much if i'm not mistaken. There is a problem though, they're going to run out of lots to give to their citizens.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

6/6 I'm an 11th grader in the US

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Perfect. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

-1/6, I'm just old

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

OK. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait, is that a negative one?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

It was me being a smartass. My grammar game is subpar. 4/6 some college.

That is why you do not see very long posts from me, and rarely see me talk in discord.

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

6/6. High School in Ohio, Associates level degree through CCAF.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

6/6.

i went through a tech school kind of college, but those terms were known by the end of middle school. Commissar would likely throw the most people off due to its origin and that its least likely to pop up in conversation or most books (for most americans that is)... the rest are fairly common in books or conversation.

and if your taking tolls, i went through public education in NY state (NOT near nyc... the other side of the state lol)

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello fellow New Yorker (not the city). What part of the big forest were you from? I was from Jamestown NY, many years ago.

Also re Commissar... your right, unless you grew up in the 80's, it showed up in a bunch of red scare movies/books in the early 80's. I can't remember their names now, just that they would all be considered kind of paranoid and campy now.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Im from the Buffalo and Niagara Falls area... so literally the exact opposite side of the state lol (which YOU would know, since your also from this side of the state, but most people seem to forget we exist over here :P)

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

For some reason most folks just don't make the association. They know there are places called Buffalo, and they have all heard of Niagara Falls, but it does not click that those places are in the state of New York. Oh well I am sure people from other parts of the US could find similar blind spots in my education... after all California is all concrete or almond farms (I am joking here) to me:)

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

6/6- BA History.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

5/6, batchelor's of science degree in accounting

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Perfect. Thank you for your time and cooperstipm

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

6 of 6

College Graduate, Bachelors degree

Although TBH I'm a little fuzzy on "paradigm" But I know of the word from the expression "A paradigm shift" which is a fundamental change in circumstances or direction.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Perfect. Thank you for your time and cooperstipm

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

"cooperstipm"

That's a new one to me. ;)

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

5/6. Missed "assuage". Currently in 8th grade.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The meaning of paradigm might be a bit too intense for this situation. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, what is your approximate level of formal education?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. I'll put "master scholar" then. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Didn't you respond on the Discord?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Hm. Interestihg. Well thank you for your time and cooperstion.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube