• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

tragiktimes101 12 months ago

Does anyone else listen to audiobooks from audible? What are your favorite books? Favorite genres? What do you have on your list to read next?

Past Reads:

Gun, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies
By: Jared Diamond

Summary: Wonderful take on the importance that weaponry, dominance, supremacy, and ineptitude had on shaping our modern world.

History's Great Military Blunders and the Lessons The Teach
By: The Great Courses

Summary: If you want to get into the minds of some of the greatest and worst general to ever live, this is the lecture series for you.

The Pursuit of Power: Europe 1815-1914
By: Richard J. Evans

Summary: This was a riveting book covering the massive changes and power grabs that took place in Europe during the 19th century.

The Story of Human Language
By: The Great Courses (John McWhorter)

Summary: Very interesting take on the evolution and importance of language to humans.

Origins and Ideologies of the American Revolution

Summary: An Awesome series of lectures covering topics from the Great Fire of New York to the Treaty of Paris.

The American Civil War
By: The Great Courses (Gary W. Gallagher)

Summary: A very well structured series of lectures by a very knowledgeable person. If you are interested in the Civil War, look no further.

Foundations of Western Civilization I

Summary: Fantastic series of lectures on western civilization. Very engaging. A must read for those interested in the subject.

Foundation of Western Civilization II: A history of the Modern Western World

Summary: Fantastic series of lectures on western civilization. Very engaging. A must read for those interested in the subject.

Sherlock Holmes (Complete Collection)
By: Arthur Conan Doyle - Read By: Stephen Fry

Summary: It's Sherlock Holmes. What more can I say?

The Best Science Fiction of the Year: Volume One

Summary: Didn't much care for this one.

The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
By: The Great Courses (Robert Garland)

Histories
By: Herodotus

Summary: Great collection of ancient histories from an ancient source

Rome and the Barbarians

Summary: Phenomenal series on Rome, it's interactions with various barbarian groups, and it's eventual downfall.

The Invention of Science: A New History of the Scientific Revolution
By: David Wootton

Summary: Great summarization of the evolution of science as we know it today.

American Gods: The Tenth Anniversary Edition (A Full Case Production)
By: Neil Gaiman

Summary: I thought it was non-fiction, it was not. But it was an amazing read and a great mistake.

China: A History
By: John Keay

Summary: Not bad, but hard to keep focused with. China has had a complex history.

The Great Upheaval: America and the Birth of the Modern World, 1788-1800
By: Jay Winik

Summary: Wonderful book covering the rapid changes that took place in Europe and America during the end of the 18th century.

The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome
By: Susan Wise Bauer

Summary: Not the best history book I have ever read, but definitely not bad either. Worth the read.

Tomorrow War: The Chronicles of Max [Redacted], Book 1
By: J. L. Bourne

Summary: Pretty cool take a potential source of societies downfall and the aftermath that would follow. A little short though.

Current Reads/Re-Reads:

The Cycle of Arawn: The Complete Trilogy (Re-Read)
By: Michael J. Sullivan

Summary: My all-time favorite book trilogy, no question. It's like Lord of the Rings, but it's not a bunch of books about walking. And it is a whole lot darker. It has a perfect mix of action, adventure, comedy, and fantasy. If you haven't read it you would be remiss if you didn't give it a shot.

Alexander Hamilton
By: Ron Chernow

Future Reads:

Age of Myth: Book One of the Legends of the First Empire
By: Michael J. Sullivan

The Silver Theif: The Cycle of Galand (Complete Trilogy)
By: Edward W. Robertson

Well, if you made it through my list I applaud you. It took me a while to write out. XD These are the books that I have read this year (a little lazy this year). Hopefully, I will get several more added to my "Future Reads" section thanks to this forum!

Comments Sorted by:

[comment deleted]
tragiktimes101 submitter 1 Build 1 point 12 months ago

We have something similar to that in Missouri but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called. It was nice, but the quality of audiobooks was hit or miss. Have you experienced similar quality variations?

[comment deleted]

That's pretty cool, I guess I'll need to give it another shot.

[comment deleted]

Ayyy, it is! Thanks!

[comment deleted by staff]

Wow, I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird in years. I think you just gave me inspiration for my next book! :)

I personally love Audible. I have read dozens of books through them. I loved them so much I signed up for their platinum (I think) subscription where you get two credits per month. Love it. If you use your credits wisely you can get whole series (100+MSPR) for one credit. That's a hell of a steal!

Another pretty great listen is just about anything from The Great Courses, which is a collegiate level series of lectures. They cover some pretty in-depth topics. It doesn't hurt that they are given by some of the best and brightest in their given fields.