add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

The Obligatory Should I Upgrade Post

Master-Zixx

28 months ago

Hi, I have an i5-6500, B150 mATX board and a GTX 950 in a mATX case

I'm considering upgrading to a GTX 1060 6GB and I am tempted to upgrade to a new platform as well. This is for 1080p gaming. I am not interested in 1440p or 4k. I do not do much workstation related stuff beyond office 365 and some hobbyist digital art. I'd like a system that has a long lifespan for my needs

With the recent release of coffee lake? Which CPU should I consider and why?

Ryzen 5 1600? i5-8400? i7-8700K?

I have never overclocked before. I'm not afraid to do so either but overclocking isn't a big win for me :)

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 5 points

For moderate 1080p gaming needs I'd say save your money, get a nice 1060 6GB or something when you see a good deal, and save for an overhaul down the line a few years. The i5-6500 is a fine processor.

• 28 months ago
  • 4 points

If you're just gaming, I see no issue with the i5 6500. I'm assuming this is 1080p @ 60hz. I personally believe you should just keep the skylake chip (not that old) and wait for some future cpu after coffee lake. As for ryzen, if you want fps, Intel is better due to its higher IPC. However, I'd you want to start streaking on twitch and what not, or do some workstation tasks, then chips like ryzen are nice for its price per core.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you want to switch to a high refresh monitor I'd stick with Skylake for the time being.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks all for your feedback. I'll stick to my i5 for now and just save up for a GPU! It's is a 144hz G-Sync monitor but I'm happy with 45+ FPS so thanks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube