• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

stealthiii 1 month ago

I have an intern that I am considering offering a paid position beginning in November. If that is the case, I need to move him off of the 'intern' computers (Optiplex 3010 from 2012).

I am considering a cheaper Ryzen build as opposed to an Intel build because I already have a spare B350 board.

My questions is which CHEAP GPU should I grab to throw in said machine? He will not (better not) be gaming on the machine, but he will have a head task workload with a number of programs open simultaneously on 2-3 monitors.

I have considered a GT-1030, but I really don't want to spend $80 on a gimped GPU that is so close in price to the 1050 / 560's. I also don't know that he needs this type of video power as he won't be streaming or gaming.

Would a $35 GT 210 / 710 be sufficient if no games are being played on the machine? Will this hinder the benefits of multitasking (the main reason I am considering the Ryzen build anyway)? Or will a GT 210 / 710 be a bad move? Should I just pony up and buy the 1050 if I go for this build?

Comments Sorted by:

Sainted 1 point 1 month ago

I don't think GT1030 has 3 display connectors. If I were you, I would go with a GTX1050. You could source a used 750 or a 750Ti, but the price won't be much lower, and their power consumption is higher.

macetotheface 1 point 1 month ago

Either a 210 or 710 would be sufficient to power 3 monitors, provided it has 3 outputs. Here are the two cheapest that are on PCPP that have 3 outputs. May need to invest a few $ in adapters, but other than that these would work. No need from what I can see to invest in a 1050.

210: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/shW9TW/gigabyte-video-card-gvn210d31girev60 710: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rtnG3C/msi-video-card-gt7101gd3hlp

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]