• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SametMazi 1 month ago

Right I have a 100cm desk (small I know) but i don’t have room :(. I have 3 options 1) PC on floor and dual monitor setup (24”) 2) PC on desk with vertical monitor setup (stacked) 3) Single monitor setup with PC on desk I will be using this for both pc and ps4. Here is my build if it matters https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fXX2vV

Comments Sorted by:

Radox-0 3 Builds 4 points 1 month ago

All personal preference. Only thing I would say, is if you have carpet and put it on the floor, to just put something else solid down to ensure the case does not sink or the ventilation gaps on the bottom do not get covered.

Shakaron 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

This not only makes sure the PC's bottom intakes do not get blocked (that is, maintain proper airflow) but carpets are dust magnets, so your PC would have less dust in it.

SametMazi submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Well the area is white wood floor but very close is a rug dont know if it will affect the dust and heat levels

Ice44 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

no as long as you don't put it on carpet

Why do you want 2 displays? What is the use case for it?

I prefer keeping my PC on a desk to have less dust in it.

Well ideally I want one for pc and one ps4 so I can use them at the same time for example when I’m trading on rocket league I can see prices and there of course other reasons too.

2 monitors is real nice. Thinking about getting a third one and having stacked and a vertical on the left. Need to find an arm for it though :D

I have 3 displays connected to my PC. I have seen 4 displays connected to a PC in one of my previous employment. I can imagine even more PCs connected. But without a proper use case, there's not much point doing it. Being "nice" does not cut it. What is nice? :D

My use case for my 2nd display is diagnostics for overclocking (temperatures, for instance). But I just need to run it every now and then, not always. And the 3rd display is a 4K TV to watch stuff there from the couch with people, not just me sitting in front of my primary (144p) display. So having this TV is more like due to the lack of having an HTPC, rather than I need it connected to my PC. :)

Some people enjoy games on 2 or 3 displays. That's another valid use-case if one is into such kind of things.

At work, I have 2 displays, as I run multiple things at the same time and viewing (various versions of the) source code, and documentation and what not is really beneficial to have all displayed at the same time. But maybe I wouldn't need 2 displays if I'd have a single 4K display instead. :)

So what do you use your 2nd and what would you use your 3rd display?

I use my second for reading stuff mostly while I game. The third would be for photoshop or monitoring streaming as I want to start that.

Yeah, I've heard many times that having a dedicated monitor for streaming (comments, chat, etc) is a useful thing. :)

yep.I also am looking into an ips monitor for that because I do some photoshop and video editing for school and personal

tragiktimes101 1 point 1 month ago

Because once you go dual monitors, you will likely never go back...

Having a game on one monitor and steam chat/mytube/firefox on the other makes it well worth it.

PCPPAccountant 1 point 1 month ago

Always on floor. If carpet get something flat to place beneath it. This will allow proper airflow and prevent the computer from getting knocked off the desk and breaking.

Are you sure? I’ve seen almost all people recommend others to put it on their desk to prevent a lot of dust and overheating. It would be great if I can put it on the floor as I save 20cm of the 100cm. Also, my room is very small and the window is close to top of the desk. I’m afraid it won’t get enough cool air and there are many cables there too so it could cause overheating? My cable management will be a signum rack holding most cables so I don’t know. Thanks in advance

Mine has always been fine. Just keep it off the carpet and you will be fine. Make sure to clean out dust from time to time to avoid overheating and blocking off airways in the filters.

Ok thanks again How often d you recommend I clean my pc? PC if it matters https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fXX2vV

I'm just in a habit of cleaning my office weekly and I clean the filter on the bottom during that. You can take some compressed air/keyboard cleaner to clean inside. I just spot check areas as I clean the PC's filter to see if anything inside needs it.

Any budget options? Could I use a hoover for example? Or a wipe to wipe excess dust? Even a paint brush? I’d just rather use my old items than buying a can of compressed air if you know what I mean

WirelessCables 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

prevent the computer from getting knocked off the desk and breaking.

Unless done intentionally or an earthquake occurs, in which case you have bigger issues, I'm not really sure how that's possible...

=P

If you have cats, dogs, or small children you may understand where I am coming from lol

WirelessCables 1 Build 0 points 1 month ago

I have a dog and I don't understand lol =P

He's small though, so I don't actually understand

Pure_Mind_Games 1 point 1 month ago

Mine is on the floor, under the desk, on carpet, with the PSU fan pointing up (like all my PCs), never had a problem with any of them. It's a full tower and I rather keep the amount of times I have to check the dust filters to a minimum, if the fan was pointing down I'd feel like I'd have to check it at least once a month, as is I only have the top exhaust to worry about, and I can just stick the hoover pipe in there without having the rag the whole system out.

In my opinion, having owned a PC since 95 and had it in the same config every time, it makes no difference.

Nullarc77 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I would advise getting something to go next to the desk to put your pc on

Wall and my bed are next to my pc lol

If you don't have carpet then putting it under your desk will be fine. If you do then just grab a piece of wood or something to stick under it.

rhali8 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I've put my PC and Xbone on my desk with a single monitor setup. Dual monitors are kinda annoying imo, if you're going for a multi monitor setup go for 3. Go for a nice ultrawide for the single monitor. Just my opinion.

It really just depends on what you are doing. I have an ultrawide that I use for gaming and I am thinking about setting up my old monitor so that I can watch stuff and game at the same time. But the use of this would be limited and I don't know if I want my monitors taking up most of my desk. Been trying to decide for weeks. But it just depends on your workload. I like ultrawide monitors simply because they give me an edge in gaming. A lot of people like them for productivity. A lot of tech oriented youtube channels use ultraiwdes for video editing.

fn230 7 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

As some have said, it's really just whichever you prefer. I have my PC on my desk, because it's easier for me to cable manage and reach the ports that way.

Gamehead-PCPartPicker 1 point 1 month ago

Floor

tragiktimes101 1 point 1 month ago

Go floor. It wouldn't benefit much from the colder air, but being lower it will likely have cooler, more dense, air that it uses as its intake. That is going to be an extremely minor difference, if noticeable at all (one room circulation fan would ruin this). But, it would give you more room on your desk.

elvenson 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Floor is fine, just try to keep it off carpets and not caked in dust

haribohungry 1 point 1 month ago

I have a little cubbie for my computer that is a part of the desk. I recommend putting it on the ground if you don’t have much desk real estate but beware of spills and dust buildup.