add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Kaby Lake vs Coffee Lake CPU

bbjlfvr

23 months ago

Hi guys,

As some of you might know Intel released their latest CPU recently. I'm not really good computer person and so I thought I'd ask here to get more input.

Does World of Warcraft benefit from fewer cores or opposite? I currently i have i5 7600k and overclocked to 4.7Ghz.

Which of the new CPU would be better for me if my budget is moderate (200-300$) and overall good bang for my buck? I'm thinking of running 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 120~144Hz.

I would like to run recent nice games on high or ultra settings games with +100 fps stable.

Please advise Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So I just commented on your other post.... But I just want to make sure you know that you'd need to buy a new motherboard if you purchased a Coffee Lake CPU. Plus you will actually struggle to get hold of any of the new CPUs because stock is basically nonexistent.

If you're aiming for 144Hz or 1440p then it's your GPU that will need an upgrade to a 1070 or more, not your CPU.

If you sell your 1060 you should be able to buy a 1080 with that money and your $2-300

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I am an avid WoW player myself (MW main) and I know from experience WoW needs single core speed over multi core speed. I have a Ryzen 1800x CPU as I do live game recording and video editing. I use task manager to set affinity for wow and my game recorder to use different cores. I find if I limit wow to only 3 cpu threads its performance does not get impacted at all. That way I can set my game recorder to use the remaining 13 threads for live transcoding to keep the load off the GPU. The 3 threads is essentially 2 threads from one core and a thread from another core.

If you already have an i5-7600k @4.7GHz if you change to a coffeelake and get that OC to 5.3 GHz (if lucky) the performance difference will not be huge. It will help a bit in the minimum frame rates a tad but average and max framerates will be unchanged. There is also no computer hardware in existence that can run WoW at 60+ fps all the time and that is due to game engine limitations. Just about every MMORPG suffers from those same limitations including much more current games.

All that being said you do not need a lot of hardware to have a decent gaming experience out of WoW, a Pentium G4560 paired with a GTX 1050 is about all you need to play the game @1080p on a 6-7 on settings. What I would recommend for settings on your rig is full 10 ultra with view distance and ground clutter reduced to 7. There is virtually no difference eye candy wise from 7 to 10 on those 2 settings but will have a large impact on performance as a whole. Those are the same settings I use with my 1800x @4.0 GHz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dseoss8YYC0

That video will show you my performance with wow with the settings to 10 ultra 1080p with ground clutter and view distance dropped to 7. I am sure it will not be far off what you get and your CPU is better for a game like wow than mine. My CPU shines in multicore speed for my particular use of the PC. I also have wow limited to threads 0-1-2 at that time with my game recorder limited to threads 3 through 15 using task manager. This is also what my CPU usage looks like when I do that: https://imgur.com/a/rpra0

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot man. It makes great deal of sense. Btw, how do you use task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and assign core usage etc like what you said?? Never done that before so I'm quite inexperienced in that area... Thanks

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

once in task manager under the processes tab and right click the process you want to allocate cores with and select "Go to details". Once there the program in question will be highlighted and you can right click that next. You then can hit "Set affinity" and it will let you pick the CPU threads you want a task to be allocated to.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no 'Go to details' option when I right click the process I want to allocate more cores...

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Hope this pic by pic walkthrough helps:

https://imgur.com/a/IwtZC

By default every task is allowed access to all cores/threads and this will allow you to limit to specific threads. This is handy if you want to have a CPU hog program leave a couple cores free for your games so you don't take a hit to game performance. This is why I got myself the 1800x over the 4 core i7 back in april. Recording/streaming programs such as OBS will allow you to pick the CPU, GPU, or integrated GPU in Intel chips to use to live encode your game stream. I find that I get a better quality using a monster CPU to encode over the integrated graphics option while keeping the load off my GPU. The new 17 8700k also seems rather appealing now with 6 cores 12 threads and OC to 5ghz or more but that was not out in april and I didn't want to hang onto my FX 8320 for THAT long lol.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

He's got a GTX 1060 6GB I believe from his other post. Might be a 3GB.

EDIT: Here's the spec he provided: "Currently I have EVGA 1060 6GB FTW+; CPU i5 7600k overclocked to 4.7Ghz; Mobo MSI SLI PLUS Z270 and I currently play at 60hz"

Also that's an interesting thing to note about Ryzen and Blizzard! Means I'll need to stick to trying to get a good deal on an i7 6th/7th gen rather than going to Ryzen whenever I eventually change my G4560.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The GTX 1060 6gb card has a strong enough GPU for wow at 144 FPS at 1440p resolutions. A GTX 1050ti can do that on 1080p. The only reason you do not get that FPS out of wow is due to how CPU heavy the game is, it hardly touches video cards and has a very strong emphasis on single core CPU performance. Still with any modern Ryzen or Intel CPU at 4ghz or higher will run 10 ultra settings fine. You just need to drop ground clutter and view distance to 7. The game's graphic settings were increased this expack so 7 on graphics now is the same as 10 ultra settings last expack.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA 1060 6GB FTW+

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube