add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which CPU to buy? Bang for buck

bbjlfvr

23 months ago

Hi guys.

What does it mean when it says "A game runs on single core"? In example; if a CPU has cores/threads of 6/6 like new i5 8400 - the game only utilizes 1/4 cores????

Which of the new CPU would be better for me if my budget is moderate and overall good bang for my buck?

I will be mostly playing WoW, multi-tasking excel, word, google browsing and play some other recent games at high or ultra settings? i3 8350K; i5 8400; i5 8600K

Currently I have EVGA 1060 6GB FTW+; CPU i5 7600k overclocked to 4.7Ghz; Mobo MSI SLI PLUS Z270 and I currently play at 60hz (since forever) and i keep hearing good things about the difference between 144Hz vs 60Hz.

Please advise Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, just to be clear... you already have a fully functioning build that includes an i5 7600K and a GTX 1060?

If... what's the issue with your build currently? It's a damn fine gaming rig.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I keep hearing it wont be able to run decently with 144Hz monitor at +100 fps :(

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats not a real upgrade from your current rig which is already a decent gaming machine. Its more of a side grade and waste of money. Your better off in doing it 2yrs or sell the parts you have to use the funds for new parts if your not satisfied with what you have. Any upgrade i would do is extra cores at this point by going from the quad to a hexacore with the same clockspeed or higher. So depending on the monitor your going to use will determine which parts you will need if not now in future. If you want to move to higher 144hz an Intel CPU with higher clockspeed will result you in higher frames and you GPU gtx 1060 will set your graphical resolution. If you move from 1080p to 1440p at 60hz your 1060 will struggle a bit, be able to run most games but demanding/AAA titles would be better with a 1070 and above for 1440p. 1080p 144hz with the 1060 is also alright with most games on medium-high average. It all depends on what display you want to run.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube