• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

haribohungry 1 month ago

I just want to know how many people hate their ISP because right now I am just ok with mine since I get pretty good speeds (500 mbps down/900 mbps up) but their TV service costs my family an arm and a leg.

Comments Sorted by:

legonate416 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

No.

Though it will change in the next month or so, because I'm moving. (My family is also moving, but I'm going off to college too, so...)

I currently have satellite internet, with Hughesnet. This means three things:

1. Download caps and throttling. Lots and lots of throttling. My family is limited to 10gb per month, with a 50gb 'bonus period' in the early hours of the morning.

2. 800ms+ ping. You can't play any online games, with the exception of turn-based games. FPS? No. RTS? No. MMOs? No.

3. Tons and tons of frustration. I have probably wasted at least a day of my life waiting for websites to respond when I click a link. It takes at least two seconds to register that I clicked a link, and much longer to load the page if we're out of data.

I cannot wait to get out of Hughesnet. Even if we're only going to 30d/5u cable I would be far happier than I am right now.

haribohungry submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Jeez dude that is really bad. I use 10 gb in a single day so damn... Is there any other ISPs out there or does your town limit it to one/two for logistical simplicity?

TBH I don't know what is wrong with my town. In the process of selling our house, we came across an IT professional who works from home and needs good bandwidth and ping for video conferencing. He said he was extremely frustrated how so many houses he looked at in the area had satellite internet. I mean, there aren't even DSL cables laid down even though we are less than 5 minutes from town.

Can't wait until SpaceX blows all these satellite ISPs out of the water in a few years.

The ISP may had made a decision to focus installing DSL to other more financially effective areas (suburbs of major cities, satellite cities) rather than your town.

I didn’t even know my little suburb from the 1950s even had fiber laid down till I checked so I guess you guys are just the people the ISP missed or intentionally forgone.

I would guess it's intentional. Satellite net companies probably make most of their profits off of us in the rural areas (even though we do have cable/DSL ISPs in town).

tiny_voices 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I'm perfectly happy with mine. I get the speeds I pay for and have had only 2 outages (less than 4 hours each and neither were the ISPs fault) in the 2 years I have lived in this location.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

No.

I get about 700Mb/s download and ~500Mb/s upload which sounds great right? its hard to use it when you internet loses connection every hour or so.

Ouch. That sounds very annoying. Except most of my downloads would be done before an hour is up on that net :P

Did you forget about online gaming?

It is very very aggravating when in the middle of a match you get booted because you just lost connection especially if the round took several hours or was pleasant to play.

Well at this point, I don't play many online games so for me, downloading offline games>online games.

But yeah, that would be super annoying.

rhali8 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Australia here. 25 up and 5 down, on a good day. Feelsgoodman.

Cobyfield 1 point 1 month ago

Australian here. Try god knows whats up and 1.4 down, every day.

Perfect ping and no outages though :D

**** NBN tbh.

rhali8 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I don't have issues with ping and outages and I'm on NBN.

Shakaron 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I've asked this before: who is your ISP and what package do you have with them?

I am not sure whom I should hate. My ISP, the building I live in or NBN in general (National Broadband Network, Australia). Or maybe I should just hate my life. XD

Things often don't work as they are intended to (most of the time, they work though) and when it comes to fixing thins, the ISP usually has no idea how to do it and it takes weeks. Many faults have been made due to human errors.

Oh, so people put speeds in their comment. Well, I've got lower speeds (12/1 Mb/s, though could have 100/25 Mb/s) than I had in 2003 in Europe at the university (100/100 Mb/s). I just love technical development.

AT&T : ISP Internet 1000 - Fiber

You aussies always have the butts end of the technology related prices/features.

Shakaron 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Rofl. I just had to see it with my own eyes.

500 - 900 Mb/s upload and 500 - 900 Mb/s download speeds are available for non-commercial customers.

Here in Australia, the best you can get is around 100/40 Mb/s for $90 AUD per month.

I'm not sure how much AT&T charges for the Fibre 1000 package.

By the way, for gaming, the 12/1 Mb/s speed is fine, as you don't have high data streams during a gaming session, so I'm happy to have lower speed if it costs less. If only the service was reliable.

$80 a month minus $10 bundle discount equals $70 a month. My family was paying the same amount for 24 Mbps down/ 2 Mbps up so we decided to upgrade.

Captaincow285 1 point 1 month ago

30mbps down, 6mbps up. For whatever reason, plugging my pc in by ethernet throttles it to 20 down, 2 up, and triples the ping.

We could get faster, but $$$.

ThatGuyStevz 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I have 300d and 180u. My dad “needs it” for work. It’s fiber optic by Frontier. I have a ping of 5 which is nice.....

Ice44 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

HATE IT

15 up 10 down

Customer service is garbage and connection shuts off half the time.

BTW my ISP IS BELL

goldenseeker05 1 point 1 month ago

You have 15 up that’s a lot for only 10 down are you sure it’s not 15 down 10 up

Ice44 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago
Jeff_M 1 point 1 month ago

I'm with Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable), I can't really complain, I get the internet speeds I am promised, no data caps and no throttling, and have only had 1 or 2 service outages in the past year. I recently moved to a new house in the same town which happened to put me in an area where speeds are 100/20 vs 300/50 where I used to be, but that's still adequate for me, and much faster than a lot of people so I consider myself lucky. Supposedly they're upgrading the infrastructure so we should see faster speeds, but fact is they are one of only two or three options here, so we need more competition.

For my TV service I have through them, I did the bundle to "save money", but I can use their mobile app to watch tv anywhere, which is super convenient for me with live sports. Some channels are only available when you're connected to your home network, but the ones I care about have their own apps that I can get access to with my ISP credentials, so I can watch anywhere anyway. All other tv shows I can stream or get on demand. Spectrum's on demand portal usually has a decent selection of shows as well, and I also have a DVR which is handy.

The one gripe I have with the tv service, they don't have the MASN channels which is super annoying because I'm a Baltimore Orioles fan, and only DirecTV has MASN around here because of some legal ********. I'd still rather avoid DirecTV because of satellite though.

Google, if you're reading this, bring me Fiber. Please.

Vinyl_Scratch_ 1 point 1 month ago

Absolutely

We pay maybe $60-80 per month for business class Internet, 350-450 down and 25 up. We had a few outages within our house and while they took their sweet time, they decided to go ahead and upgrade some of the infrastructure within the house to keep everything running well and prep for the upcoming fibre that will be going into mainstream in 2018.

Along with this, no caps or data throttling, and they don't seem to care about torrenting all that much (take that as you will). Compared to other ISP's they really lack alot of the BS the other companies have

Spectrum is actually pretty freaking cool for what they do

Wow nice set up. I wonder if Spectrum gives priority to you guys in their systems because you have business class services because usually businesses are pretty demanding.

Both of the ISPs in my locality have data caps and throttle for bandwidth heavy stuff but other than that they are pretty chill with industry average customer support.

Cobyfield 1 point 1 month ago

I was talking to you when you found out you had a business line! :D

So jelly here in Straya.

Nullarc77 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

My isp sucks. My wifi is all over the place from 5 pm to 8 pm which is when most people get on the internet in my neighborhood. Part of it is my crappy wifi card but it is also due to my isp. The max speed they provide is 60mbps which is totally crappy compared to my last isp which had 500mps as the max but that was too expensive and we had a 150mbps connection and it was cheaper then what we are currently paying for our crappy 60mbps connection. The reason for the new isp is that we moved to a different state. I am hoping when my family moves next year that we move to an area that has more isps. But it looks like we will be staying in the same area this time. But there may be more isps in the part of the area we move to. As far as tv we don't have it. Just netflix. I spend most of my free time gaming anyway so it does not really matter. All my shows show up on netflix eventually.

floridaboz 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

no

Haze159 1 point 1 month ago

Nope

Only 14Mbps down. .017Mbps up. And recently have been losing connection every 30 minutes.

goldenseeker05 1 point 1 month ago

I have 5 up and 11 down so... a 2gb update take 30-45 min ;(

Growliff1234 1 point 1 month ago

Funny story, i use a phone because of how far out I live, netlimiter 4 is a lifesaver. I don't have a cap anymore but when something is downloading nothing else can be used. https://gyazo.com/b0705b4060528013ae83ab997e51c590

MarkoPT 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Yes.

Bartholemew 1 point 1 month ago

I'm from the western side of Australia. It's even worse here than on the other side. 3mbps down and 0.5 up. We are only just getting the new NBN in a few weeks.