• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

LukeDaDuke2017 1 month ago

Ok don't get me wrong I have fine grades. I maintain a A average, and I have a 3.9 GPA average as a freshman. But my Spanish 2 and Algebra 2 Advanced grades are lower, both being 92. Any suggestions on how to get better in those subjects? I do try to study a good amount, but I suffer from extreme procrastination issues. That definitely does not help my studying.

Also anyone have a good topic for a research paper that has something to do with America? I was going to go with cults in America, but I'm trying to expand my options. Gracias.

Comments Sorted by:

GentlemanShark 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

A 92 is still a an A in GPA calculations.

LukeDaDuke2017 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Thats true, but the average accepted GPA for UVA is 4.23 so I have quite a way to go. Of course, I have yet to start AP classes, so we shall see.

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Oh lol, you haven't done any? No wonder, don't worry about your GPA then. I only took 2 APs freshman year and I'm rocked a 4.4 as a Sophmore. Also GPA isn't everything a majority of friends have above 4.5s and don't get into dream schools like Cal and UCLA.

High school freshmen or College freshmen? I'm still in high school, and I dont start AP classes until sophomore or maybe junior year.

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

High school, all classes in college are AP level by definition. I want allowed to do APs as a freshman, so I did them at the local college.

Oh ok. Wow ambitious much.

Shakaron 4 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

but I suffer from extreme procrastination issues.

It seems like you've got the brains, you just need to find a way to battle the procrastination.

For some, it works if you study with friends (or classmates) so you'll understand things together, point out how to solve problems, help each other practice and keep one another inspired to keep studying.

For others, studying alone is the only way to go. Try to get rid of any distraction: remove games from your computer, phone. Give your console to friends/family (even for a month) so you will not be tempted to play games instead. Do the same thing with your TV or HiFi if it's these things that distract you. Or go to the university/library and study there.

Point is, find out what distracts you and shut it out. If it's your friends, talk with them, allocate time for them e.g. only after 8 pm. Or weekends.

Doing well at school pays off.

Thats some very sound advice. Thank you for that.

Shakaron 4 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

No problem. ;)

octa-wow 1 point 24 days ago

arent we all...

PCPPAccountant 1 point 1 month ago

Fix the procrastination, do things right as they are assigned, make a schedule and stick to it. Trust me, once you are done with school and are working in the real world there is no procrastination, only people who get fired from their jobs. Scheduling and work ethic are valuable skills to learn in school. They are your basis for success once out of school

Thank you for your great input.

Kavala 1 point 28 days ago

92 is a great average, I work my *** off in class and barely scrape by with mid-low 80s. I also have lots (maybe too many) extracurricular sports and a job on top of schooling as well. Be grateful for the gift you've been given.

LukeDaDuke2017 submitter 1 point 28 days ago

Thank you, and I am

tragiktimes101 1 point 27 days ago

If you were going to do a research paper on America you might want to consider research the Hatfield and McCoy feuds. Or the Cresap War between Pennsylvania and Maryland. Or you could write about the labor wars that took place in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. All very interesting topics. I might suggest picking up an audiobook from Audible on one of the subjects that might interest you, or use Audible to find a topic. "The Great Courses" are awesome, collegiate level courses covering various topics and given by some of the leading experts in the fields.

LukeDaDuke2017 submitter 1 point 27 days ago

Also some great ideas.

Use rewards (whatever you prefer) to entice you to complete your work. It's hard to remember things you don't want to do. But much easier to remember something you want to do, and just making yourself achieve a task before you do it. For example, if you really want to play a game tonight set that as a reward for studying an hour. Or something along these lines. I used to be a huge procrastinator, but have greatly mitigated by turning my hobbies into rewards.

Thats a great idea. Thank you

No problem. I hope it helps. I use it to clean my house too. XD

Nullarc77 2 Builds 1 point 22 days ago

If you are worried about college then you should know that gpa is not the most important factor. It is a big factor but not the most important. Currently your SAT and ACT scores count more. But another factor is just who you are and your determination. For example my brother just got accepted into the Milwaukee School of Engineering. The #3 best engineering school in the United States, With the University of Michigan being #2 and MIT being #1 as always. He had a 3.8 average through high school and an !200 on the SAT. Now a 1200 is good but not great. He is still a senior in high school and was getting ready to take the SAT again when he got accepted. The only factor now is paying for it. If you are worried about the 2 extra classes killing your GPA then drop one or both. I advise dropping Spanish 2 because while it is great to be bilingual, If it kills your GPA is not worth it. And you still have another 3 years of High School. I am also a freshman in highschool. And from watching what my brothers did I can say the best thing to do is to finish all the base highschool work as fast as possible. For example I have been ahead most of my life and while I am a freshman, I am in tenth grade this year. I will most likely graduate by the end of my second year of highschool. My brothers both finished highschool my their junior year and start taking college classes at the start of their second and third year of highschool. They took them at a local community college and that really helped them. Because by the time my brother actually goes off the college he will not need to do English or History because those are only required for your first two years at most engineering schools. If a college sees this they know that you are determined and can surpass your peers. However most of these were made possible due to the fact that we are Homeschooled. We don't need to wait for permission to finish the tenth or eleventh grade. We just do all the work and make an A and our parents move us up. I know you can do something similar in public schools but from my understanding it takes a lot longer to complete the process. But if you can then your chances of getting into college go up by a lot. For example my oldest brother got accepted into 7 of the top ten premed schools in the country. Cornell was one of them. But after doing a lot of research he decided to go to Augsberg University. If you have never heard of it I don't blame you. It is a college right next to the University of Minnesota. It is so small that one building from the U of M is bigger then the entire campus at Augsberg. And it has a better premed program then Cornell. So if you work hard anything is possible. Another thing I would like to say is that there are three rules for being successful in the United States that work for 98% of the people that practice them. #1 finish high school. #2 don't have a kid before you are married. #3 get a job. If you follow those 3 basic rules you will be successful. I am not saying you will be rich and have and garage full of 2 million dollar cars and have your own private jet that flies you to your private island. But you will be successful. But it requires hard work. The fourth rule which is not as much a rule as an add on the first is to go to college. From the looks of it you are on the right track to college. Being a homeschooled it is very easy for me to procrastinate. Mainly because all my work is on a computer and unless my mom tells me to work at the kitchen table, I don't really need to do my work in public. But one of things I think about is if I do all my work before I go to football or hockey, Then when I get back at 18:00 and I am tired and don't want to do anything, I will not need to do a days work and not get any video game time in.

LukeDaDuke2017 submitter 1 point 22 days ago

WOw thank you for the input

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
LukeDaDuke2017 submitter 1 point 28 days ago

What have I done to you?

philip staff 10 Builds 1 point 28 days ago

Keep it polite or don't comment on this site.

tragiktimes101 2 points 27 days ago

Woah. To elicit a response like this the person must have been extremely foul.

He just said shut up so i dont know why it was deleted

Must have been upset at someone getting decent grades. That implies a lot about one's self. Does it not?

Very true. Its not honestly all that hard to get decent grades. I have never understood the people who get all D's because they dont care. Don't they know they are potentially ruining their futures/career options?

haribohungry 1 point 22 days ago

Maybe because he doesn’t like someone complaining over 92s when he is trying to barely pass?