PCPartPicker

• Register

What is the best 1080ti for water cooling and overclocking?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

rzjnzk 1 month ago

What is the best 1080ti for water cooling and overclocking?

It would be appreciated if you could give me a general answer to that, and then a cheaper option if it is significantly more expensive than most 1080tis.

I am also interested in features such as temperature sensors, and any other useful feature, but second to my original question.

Comments Sorted by:

Radox-0 3 Builds 3 points 1 month ago

It does not really matter. With 1080tis it's down to the silicon. Shoving extra voltages, having billions of power phases etc do not matter with pascal as it's limited by voltage and all boards including founders are fine in that regards.

rzjnzk submitter 1 point 1 month ago

See my response to Chillsabre, isn't that a factor?

Radox-0 3 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

As I say, with pascal they are voltage limited. Cooling is a major factor in trying to achieve higher clock rates (boost 3.0 is very sensitive to temps). Remove the thermal element (thanks to water cooling) and voltage element (pascal in general) and your left with silicon lottery, It is not uncommon to see in very short tests the 1080Ti FE cooler perform as well as aftermarket thanks to the thermal element not being an issue for such short tests.

It is all very much silicon lottery with some reviewers for example getting exceptional FE models, and other middle of the pack. Either way the OC will land in the 2000 Mhz - 2100 MHz range and a clock outside of those numbers will not see a real world difference.,

Chillsabre 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

The best 1080ti for watercooling is the mSI 1080ti Armor OC. Its cheap and the cooler MSI put on it is inefficient for the card but its a non reference PCB and its good for watercooling.

I believe FE and some branded cards have a 'baked-in' OC limit (I forget the terminology), I assume this is also not the case with this card? Thank you for your help.

Chillsabre 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Heres a review by Gamers Nexus on it. It explains it prety well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNQtfNFCWa8

It looks like it is good value, but as for the best card, is it? What about the KINGPIN 1080 Ti?

Chillsabre 2 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

The Kingpin is good but to get the most out of the card, you are looking at LN2 OCing which is a different beast entirely. All cards will pretty much act the same when watercooled due to how the Turbo Boost works on Pascal GPUs.

The Armor OC is basically a bad cooler slapped on a good MSI Gaming X PCB making it pretty much the best buy for your goals here.

I see, thank you very much for all your help.

I just remembered that I plan on connecting three 4K panels, a QHD 165Hz panel, and a VR headset to my system. Would the I/O on that card suffice? (I may connect the fifth panel at some point [a touch panel]), so ideally I would like to accommodate that as well. Could I possibly achieve this with daisy-chaining and switch boxes?

Chillsabre 2 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

Doubtful.

4K and high refresh monitors all require Display ports in most cases and VR usually requires dual HDMI. You wont find all these ports on a single card.

Even the 4 display are found on Quadro and FirePro cards which are in a league of their own in terms of pricing.

You can find dual HDMI 1080ti available like the MSI Duke OC, the actual Gaming X and the Asus Strix but then you lose display ports. You may need to pick your poison in terms of display here or adding more GPUs.

Would I be able to use the display ports on the motherboard I/O as well as the GPU I/O instead of buying an additional GPU?