PCPartPicker

• Register

I have Freesync monitor but GTX 1070. Should I switch to Vega 64 for 4k gaming?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

crhind 1 month ago

Title

I can return the 1070 still.

4k games will hit consistently less than my monitor's 60hz refresh rate. Would that be pretty jarring if I wasn't utilizing Freesync?

Comments Sorted by:

tomtomj2 8 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Well this will depend. Vega 64 can be had for MSRP now however this still doesn’t change the fact it’s a 295W TDP card that’s cooled by a blower style cooler. It really depends on you if you want to deal with the extra heat and noise it will generate, especially playing at 4K.

There’s a couple remedies:

• Buy an aftermarket cooler for it
  • Buy an aftermarket liquid cooler for it
  • Buy a waterblock and build a custom loop
  • Buy the $699 Vega 64 Aqua
  • Buy a 1080/1080 Ti and forget the Freesync

These will decrease temps over the stock cooler and probably run their fans at lower RPMs. You don’t need to buy anything for it, but if you’re like me (who owns one) and can’t stand the noise and heat it produces, either get it underwater or buy a 1080/1080 Ti.

crhind submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I was actually thinking about upgrading to a 1080 before I realized all this. Why would 1080 eliminate my need for freesync?

juhni 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

AMD cards support freesync. Nvidia cards support g-sync. Currently, they are not cross compatible. You can grab a 1080/1080ti now and ignore the freesync part of your monitor for now. Then when AMD releases a better suited gpu for 4k, your freesync monitor will be waiting for it.

Why would grabbing a 1080 allow me to ignore Freesync?

Because it wouldn’t matter really, Freesync is something you can live without IMO

However I suggest you take advantage of it, wait for the Vega cards with the better coolers, I saw a picture for the XFX one, it looks nice.

Wouldn't I have to use some kind of sync though? Otherwise I'm def getting a 1080.

This is my first build so I'd rather not wait for an indefinite amount of time to grab those Vegas (for a much higher price I bet too). Such is my predicament ha.

If you buy a GTX 1080, you won’t be able to use Freesync. However you can use VSync still regardless.

If you buy a Vega, you can use Freesync.

If you buy a 1080, you can’t, that’s all. It’ll still work and it won’t really matter, although it’s said that Freesync/Gsync is better than VSync. However then you’d need to buy a Vega Card.

Compromise idea, if your case is a good case and you set the card up right, it shouldn’t be too loud. Undervolt the Card to run at lower temps and it should be fine. Make sure your PSU is good.

I'm gonna look more into v sync. Disappointing I'll have to compromise in some way.

Hey thank you so much for all the help!