add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need advice on computer security

bbjlfvr

21 months ago

Hi guys, so I am feeling quite paranoid and uneasy at the moment - I think I am being spied or logged on my home computer.

To be more specific, sometimes my locked screen would ask me twice to enter pin; and web browser would close here and there when I did not action that and trying to clear browser history (checked all option & since the beginning of time) would not work and history is not deleted.

To be clear and simple, no I don't visit any ****, torrent or any shady sites or whatsoever. I currently have windows default program Windows Defender? and anti-malware byte? and hitman? (not sure if I got the names right) programs running regularly on daily basis. But they don't detect anything. And latter 2's trial date has expired.

So what I am thinking now is to format my whole PC/OS completely and install fresh OS from scratch. Would this help? Also when new OS is installed/formatted, what kind of anti-virus, PC and internet security & anti-malware software is most recommended and must have for overall best protection? I can't afford any paid versions so that is out of the question. Any free, good ones with regular update will do for me.

Also would you kind suggest me any good free VPN program or extension? that won't change my browser settings and pop notification every now and then? I heard this website called tail.boum.org - what is this for? is it paid? Recommended?

I guess that will be all and I greatly appreciate all your input & advice.

PS: I have a common sense not to visit any shady sites etc. :)

Thank you.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Anyone? Please?? Nobody???

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

People sleep, you know....

; )

[comment deleted]
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Open an admin command prompt and run sfc /scannow to fix drive errors. Then run a Malwarebytes scan - that section is free even without a paid version. Then, if you want to reinstall, do Windows 10 "Fresh Start" by searching it up in the start menu. Follow reinstall instructions.

After you reinstall, go and download Avira. It's a free, lightweight antivirus that performs well.

You are probably not being spied on - just random computer malfunctions.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're really paranoid you can add in a brick of thermite just in case you get raided....but I don't know how that will help your software issue. ;)

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

So you want him to Hindenburg his house?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

They don't have to ignite it...but then again if their paranoia is right, maybe they should. :P

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, the humanity!

That's gotta hurt!

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

If your having to log in twice after the Fall Creators Update read this as quite a few folks fixed the issue by following what they suggested there.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security-insiderplat_pc/windows-asks-for-my-password-twice-after/7dd141e6-fb0b-46e9-ba0d-070479eec433?auth=1

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

To avoid the eyes of hacker one should use VPN or proxy server. But the basic things to keep yourself and your computer safe is by keeping a strong password, visiting only trusted sites that have https, it means secure. Avoid clicking anonymous links.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Super late reply I know..

What does a VPN have to do with your software issues? But to answer your question, I would not recommend using a free VPN. They log your data and more than likely sell your information (hey they have to make money somehow right...? "free".)

I would highly recommend Private Internet Access (PIA). It's extremely affordable, doesn't log your traffic, reliable, etc.

Good luck.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube