add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
bbjlfvr

21 months ago

Hi guys, in brief and simple - what is the best combination of security?

I am no experience in terms of computer security etc. but I have been reading some articles, guide and reviews and my decision is leaning towards Bitdefender + malwarebytes + ad block plus (extension) + common sense. Will this be enough for overall security of my computer? And of course, i will be using the free version because I can't afford paid versions.

Are there any better options as opposed to the above? Also, if I were to use external antivirus such as bitdefender or avast, will it work fine with default antivirus of windows? Or do I need to disable one of them to get the benefit of it?

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 4 points

1: Behavior. Everything else doesn't matter if you're browsing on the fringe and downloading attachments from spam email and launching them, or downloading virus ridden pirated software or media/movies/videos/music.

2: System policy configuration. Forget about all that bloatware. Windows defender, windows firewall, windows enhanced mitigation experience toolkit, and group policy configurations adjusted to eliminate privilege granting to unauthorized software/users. If you're configuring a system for other users, consider a "least privilege" approach, removing all but the functionality those users are anticipated to actually need. Pretty much everything that can be "blocked" through the use of some 3rd party application, can be blocked by editing group policy settings or firewall settings or services right in windows.

3: Updates. Perform security relevant updates to all software installed routinely.

4: DNS selection: If your ISP isn't providing a "filtered" DNS server to eliminate resolving addresses to known sources of bad, manually configure the use of a different DNS server. Choose openDNS or Google servers.

5: Various browser plug-ins to "kill" popups and re-directs are nice. Though if you're getting a lot of popups and redirects then you have a problem with #1 that should be solved first.

6: If you want to run something "in addition" to what windows is already capable of, pick a mainstream "free" anti-virus... when it irritates you, try a different one. Free options that aren't bad: Avast, Malwarebytes, Bitdefender. This should be considered the lowest priority part of the equation. I don't run this stuff on any of my computers.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

This.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a UTM.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

what is that?

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Unified Threat Management. Basically a hardware firewall, such as pfsense and Sophos. If you have an older machine with two ethernet ports laying around you could turn it into a hardware firewall.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

To keep my system secured I preferred to use a strong password lock + avast antivirus along with a good VPN service. I think it's enough to keep a system secure.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you tell me what are some free VPN service? Do u mean you use VPN to surf internet? Does it prevent any malware to infect your machine??

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Never use a free VPN.. No it does not prevent you from getting infected. VPN just helps to mask your IP address when connecting to the internet. I.e. you usually can select from a set of (server) locations provided by the VPN provider and all your internet traffic gets sent to that server which then routes it to the proper destination.

(YOU) --> (YOUR ISP) -> (VPN SERVER) --> (INTERNET)

Essentially acts as a middle man so the END node does not know the origin of the traffic.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Here are few Free Vpn Services →

Proton, Hide me, Hotspot, Tunnel Bear, Zoogvpn.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

As prevention is better than cure so like that Using a VPN is better than regret. And yes it helped in keeping my system away from malware.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point
  • physical hardware firewall
  • don't use admin account for normal use
  • common sense
  • never save passwords, use a manager
  • Chrome
  • WOT extension for Chrome
  • get rid of Flash ASAP if you still have it
  • a good adblocker
  • NoScript or something similar
  • Software firewal
  • Anti-walmare
  • backups, reset points

If all else fails, a 9mm for killing the drive. Alternatively there's VMs.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Few things to clarify:

1. Which firewall software? Is it free? Cuz i cant afford to pay any
  2. What is FLASH?
  3. WOT extension?
  4. How do I save reset points?
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-firewall
  2. FLASH is a web-plugin / functionality-program that is riddled with ways to hack and infect and generally isn't a good idea to have. HTML can replace it in cases like video-playing.
  3. Web Of Trust. It marks links and images as safe or unconfident or wack. It is based on community and user reviews so it isn't nearly 100% accurate, the company behind it has also been known to give bad ratings for compnues that give it bad reviews
  4. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I use the following:

• Avira: for viruses (actually doesn't mess up my system like most other softwares, lol)
  • Malware Bytes: for malware (free version is good enough for me although if you don't mind spending, this one is worthwhile)
  • SuperAntiSpyware: for spyware (yeah, yeah... the name sounds silly but its great)
  • Adblock Browser Extension: for annoying vendors (mostly for annoying ads not viruses, but hey ads are a lot more frequent xD)

All of the above have free editions. They have never failed me so far and its been many long years. And of course, most importantly... be careful what you do online. Don't go to or click on sketchy links, etc.

If a link is shortened then use a website such as... http://redirectcheck.com/

And/or scan an online link or file with: https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

If you care more about your online privacy, I can also give recommendations for that. Cheers & safe browsing :-)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I use ublock+ccleaner+malwarebytes+common sense and I haven't had an issues with viruses so far

[comment deleted]
  • 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know these from your list. Can you explain what they do? - WOT extension from Google Chrome store (downloaded with special extension) - Adfly skipper - Modified hosts file to block access to ad tracking websites and other nasties - Sybot Anti Beacon & Shut Up 10 for Windows tracking blocking.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube