add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worthy Upgrade from SLI 970

cmgroft
  • 27 months ago

Hi, I currently have the 970 gtx in SLI and I am looking to see if there is another single card that will beat the performance I have and would be justifiable in upgrading. Any Ideas? Thanks

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

What monitor are you playing on and what sort of performance are you getting out of them?

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the Asus VG24QE monitor (1080p). The games that I currently play most(Fortnite,Overwatch,PUBG), I get anywhere from 80- 130 FPS. The main thing for me is moving away from sli and towards a single card that can perform just as well or alittle better. Thanks for the response!

• 27 months ago
  • 2 points

Personally I'd wait for a while for the next gen. of cards to roll out. I run a single 970 myself and get similar fps in those games, and since you have a bit of a buffer with the double cards yours will last a bit longer (albeit not much with how little they're supporting SLI nowadays). NVidia's Volta is right around the corner and sounds like it has the potential to shake up the market if its consumer level cards run at relative performance to the Titan V, although at possibly a higher price tag than previous gens. It could also cause current card prices to drop a bit, but I wouldn't bank on that in particular.

If you wanted a new card now, the 1070/1070ti would be a bit better than what you're running now. Any more than that would be semi-overkill, at least for 1080p. The new Vega cards are also an option. People have been buying the Vega 56 and using a Vega 64 BIOS update to make it run around 3 or so percent of its big brother, so that's an option as well (AFAIK it's stable, but if you go that route definitely research into it a bit).

It's all in how soon you want to upgrade.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont really have a certain time to upgrade, I just want to make the upgrade worth it. I do agree that since I only have 1080p some cards may be overkill. Thanks for telling me about Volta, I will have to look into that.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

What games are you playing? Most likely the performance was similar to a 1070 with sli so something like a 1070ti/1080 or if you games don’t support sli a 1070/1070ti would be good.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I mainly play Fortnite, Overwatch and PUBG. I am looking at some new games as well. I'm more trying to just get away from sli and move to a single card. Thanks for the response!

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

SLI support is decreasing, so it is hard to gauge exactly where the "worth it" line is. By selling those cards, you could probably get more than halfway to a 1080 which is a strong single card with 8GB of VRAM vs the 970's 4GB. That would be the primary contender, in my opinion, due to its cost; otherwise, you could look at the more expensive 1080ti.

It depends a lot on the games you play and at what resolutions, as well.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at the 1080 and 1080ti. I have a Asus vg24qe monitor and play games at 1080p. The most common games currently are Fortnite, Overwatch and PUBG. Thank you.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not quite sure how good the SLI scaling is on those, but you can always check your settings and performance and compare them to benchmarks.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

A GTX 1080 will beat them both in a heartbeat.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube