add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

6600k 100% usage with 1080ti

cmgroft
  • 27 months ago

Hello, I believe I have a bottleneck and that it is my cpu. If I play overwatch on ultra settings sometimes I have 299 FPS and then sometimes it dips down in 120 and stays around 150. It is noticable sometimes as it seems if im lagging. What is the best way to solve this or get it close to being better? Thank you for the help!

Comments

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a bottleneck

There is always one in the system. By definition, the bottleneck is something that has the least throughput, one that holds back the rest. There is always such a component in your system unless the software makes your system idle because there is nothing to do, or for instance, in games, the FPS is limited (e.g. by VSync).

Here is what you can do.

But I'd say, your system is fine.

It is noticable sometimes as it seems if im lagging

I'm pretty much sure it's in your head only. Your monitor can only display 144 frames in a second, so you pretty much wouldn't notice if our frame rate drops from 299 to 150 (still more than your display can handle).

Lags in the game can be due to latency on the network. Or some background process runs parallel to the game. Or the game itself needs to do something unusual that requires more CPU/GPU power. But that CPU is a rather decent one.

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response. After posting this I started to think about it and I realized I had twitch open aswell. Im assuming the 100% cpu usage is fine, even considering that I have it overclocked? Thank you

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

As mentioned, something will run on 100% percent in a game (unless FPS limited). Either the CPU or the GPU.

Twitch running in the background can explain why there could be some sudden spikes of performance loss (e.g. the browser does something).

I usually turn off everything else, when I game to prevent such things happening. Also, I tell my girlfriend to stick to 4G instead of using the router's WiFi. :D

• 27 months ago
  • 1 point

xD, that is one way to do it. Well thank you for the incite. Have a good day!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube