add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Streaming CPU?

cmgroft
  • 28 months ago

Hi, I was going to start streaming occasionally and I wanted to upgrade my cpu. I orginally has my mind set on the 8700k but I am unaware of how Ryzen pairs up with intel now. Which would help me out the most? I have a 1080 ti, 16 GB of ram and a 1080p monitor(if that matters). Budget as of right now im not really 100% concerned about, obviously I dont want to spend more then I have to but I also want to get something that will perform well for a long time. Any ideas or help is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What will you be streaming?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Fornite, Overwatch,CS, PUBG. I dont really have a single game. That may make it harder for me to pick a cpu but those are some games I would plan on streaming.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, a Ryzen based system is much cheaper and loses as much or less performance than Intel based builds. A nice set up with a Ryzen 7 1700 with a good motherboard will lose a lot less performance compared to an 8700K when streaming.

The 8700K pushes more frames but gets a bigger hit on performance when streaming. The Ryzen 7 systems tend to have a better 1% and 0.1% and this should keep your framerate more consistant and stable when streaming thanks to the 2 additional cores.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so would you say to go with Ryzen now or wait till Zen+?

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It would make the mopst sense here to go with Ryzen. As for Ryzen vs Ryzen+, hard to say. It is coming out pretty soon so if you can wait, it might be worth it.

If they can improve memory compatibility and improve a bit on the IPC, it will be a nice lineup of CPU.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Now that youve mentioned everything about ryzen, I did alittle more reasearch into it and cant decide. Ryzen is alittle cheaper and doesnt lose as much but Intel has better gaming performance. Its hard to decide.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

If you already have a reasonable CPU, you might think about keeping it until Zen + launches in Early April, which should be able to clock @ 4.4 Ghz or greater. If you can't wait, the 8700k will match the 1700 in multi threaded performance with greater single threaded performance, although it costs 100$ more. Do you have a high refreshrate monitor, or is it standard 60-75hz? For streaming, the 1700 and 8700k will perform nearly identically, although the 8700k will outperform the 1700 by about 15% in games whenever you're not streaming, although they'll both be well over 100 FPS.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

which should be able to clock @ 4.4 Ghz or greater

As far as I am aware, it won't be until Zen2 that we may see increased clock rates into the 4.3-4.5GHz range. And, even this is just speculation at this point.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought Zen 2 was adding on more cores, but what do I know :P I'm doubting that they're going to improve their IPC in between Ryzen and Zen +. AMD is already claiming that they're going to have 10% + performance increase, not to mention that that should be the difference between 14NM and 12NM, and if they dont meet their claims Zen + isn't going to sell too well...

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I will take a look into Zen+. I do have a 144hz monitor. Thats one of the reasons I was leaning towards the 8700k, It has better performance in overall games.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, since you have a 144hz monitor you're either going to want to shell out the extra Benjamin or wait a few more months for Zen +, which should be quite close to the 8700k in gaming...

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah thats why I am leaning towards to 8700k. I was just unsure how ryzen paried up to it.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Fornite, Overwatch,CS, PUBG. I dont really have a single game. That may make it harder for me to pick a cpu but those are some games I would plan on streaming.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube