add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

cleaning & maintenance

bbjlfvr

18 months ago

hi guys, I have built my desktop a year ago and I was wondering how you guys clean (maintain) and clean the dust on the inside desktop (actual processor)? What are your methods and what do you use? Please be specific and comprehensive as much as possible because i am not computer guru.

Thank you.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Compressed air f'sure. If you do plan on purchasing said item, do be careful as some sprays leak out liquid residue; So hold the can at an angle when spraying, and in short bursts rather than a continuous spray.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

How often should I change and re-apply my thermal paste?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Reapply it every time you remove the heat sink/cooler from your CPU.

There is more heat build up due to dust/dirt that accumulates in the system than due to the degradation of the paste between heatsink/Cooler and CPU.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points
  • Get a can (preferably two) of compressed air
  • Some 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol (90-92% is available at the grocery store, 99% can be ordered online).
  • Some coffee filters (50+ should do)
  • Some paper towels
  • Some new thermal paste

• Ground yourself on the PSU first (just incase)
  • Then, make sure the power switch on the psu is set to off or "0" and the PC is unplugged
  • Use the canned air to blow out the majority of any dust. MAKE SURE TO KEEP CANS FACING UPRIGHT
  • If you have dust filters they should/can be thoroughly washed in the sink (make sure they are dry before putting them back)
  • Carefully remove the CPU cooler from atop The CPU, and clean the thermal paste off the cooler and cpu using only the Isopropyl and Coffee Filters (not paper towels). You may need to remove the retention latch (what holds the cpu in place) to get all the thermal paste off. When you go to reapply thermal paste, make sure both surfaces are dry, and the retention latch is secured in place, then place a small stop in the center of the CPU (about the size of an airsoft bb give or take, or a very thin X across the surface of the cpu) then place the cooler atop the CPU tightening the screws in a diagnol or in an x formation (opposits first-- top left, then bottom right- or top right then bottom left).
  • If you must, any fans that are excessively Dusty can be removed and cleaned. I would use the isoproply and a paper towel to clean the blades.
  • I would use the paper towels (and Isopropyl, or if you are careful, water) to clean the open surfaces inside the case (like the bottom where dust might settle).

Other than that, you should be okay, as long as nothing looks horrific. Your PC will lstart to let you know of any more serious problems (indicators such as notable changes in temps overtime, clicking sounds, grinding noises, those would obviously indicate problems).

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

How often should I change and re-apply my thermal paste?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean, after a year it is not really* necessary. You could get away with leaving it for a few years even. I clean and replace mine every year as to not lose cooling performance. Every two years is fine if that's more reasonable for you. Your cooling performance drop off (from thermal paste drying) shouldn't start to be an issue for a couple years, but I figure if I am opening up the pc and clean things out anyway, I may as well do that as well, but that's just me.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Carefully though.

• 18 months ago
  • 0 points

The only safe way to wash your pc in water is to fully submerge it in a large basin or bath tub and when its in there you must turn it on as all of the fans will blow the dust out of the pc.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Guaranteed FPS Booster.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

With any luck upon electrocution, you may gain superpowers; here's hoping.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Smh clearly you've never cleaned your pc correctly.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Usually just take it apart and put it in the dish washer besides the case obviously, that cant get wet.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube